Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two 

    The sharp pain in my head caused me to abruptly come alive with a groan. I shielded my eyes at the bright sun burning my eyes.

    "Crap!" I grumbled. It was daytime. I must've passed out and spent the whole night here. I reached for my phone to check for messages. It was dead.

    I got out of the truck, first looking for a good place to relieve myself from the after-effects of my binge drinking. Afterward, I started crushing all the containers I'd emptied. My head pounded in agony with every single movement I made. 

    I emptied the remaining cans from the box, and broke it down—shoving it under the seat with the smashed cans until I could dispose of them. Now I needed to figure out what to do with the full cans. I looked around, my eyes settling on the creek. Walking along the edge, I searched until I found a place in the rocks where I could sink the cans into the water, keeping them nice, cold, and hidden for a later date—if the need were to ever arise.

    I stumbled back to my vehicle, leaning against it as I fought a wave of nausea which threatened my stomach. I rubbed my face as I tried to collect my thoughts. I needed to get home and shower so I could get back to Nikki. 

    Fumbling with my keys, I managed to start the engine and head for home. Every bump in the road made my brain feel like it was sloshing against the insides of my skull. This was definitely a plus in the reasons-not–to-drink category. I forgot how fun hangovers could be.

    I'd barely placed the truck into park when the front door swung open, and my mom came running from the house. She opened the driver's side and threw her arms around me.

    "You're okay! Oh my gosh, I'm so relieved." She embraced me tightly. "You're in so much trouble, mister. Where have you been? We've all been worried sick about you!"

    "Sorry, Mom." I hugged her back. "I went to sit by the creek last night after I left the hospital, and I fell asleep. I didn't wake up until now, and my phone is dead."

    I turned my head away from her as I spoke, hoping she wouldn't be able to smell any alcohol on my breath.

    "I didn't think anything was wrong until this morning. I assumed you had spent the night at the hospital. When I couldn't reach you, I called Justine's number, and she said you had come home last night. I was terrified you'd been in an accident yourself."

    "No. I'm all right," I gripped her tighter. "I'm sorry I scared everyone."

    "I better call and tell her we found you. Poor Nikki was beside herself with worry."

    "Nikki's awake?" I asked, my heart sinking. 

    Mom followed as I hurried from the truck and up the steps to the house.

    "She's been in and out of it most of the morning according to her mom. She keeps asking for you."

    I actually growled under my breath, wishing I could punch myself for not being there on time. "I need to get back there."

    "I'll make you some breakfast while you're getting cleaned up."

    My stomach recoiled at the thought of food. "Don't trouble yourself. I'll pick something up on the way."

    "It's no trouble at all. I'll pack you some stuff to go so you have something for the rest of the day as well."

    I sighed before I agreed. I might as well give in because she wasn't going to relent.