intro

Shedeur's Story.

Shedeur let out a breath after running yet another drill. He rested his hands on top of his head to increase air flow, walking in circles not wanting to stop moving.

It was Sunday at 2am and instead of being at home in his bed, he was on the football field, practicing. What everybody thought was a minor injury had caused Shedeur to miss the last four games, and it was starting to take a toll on him.

With Major by Young Dolph & Key Glock blasting from his beats headphones, Shedeur hadn't noticed his best friend joining him on the field.

Marley ran up and jumped on his back, laughing as Shedeur screamed out of fear. Marley got down, still laughing hysterically, tears forming in her eyes.

Shedeur smacked his teeth, removing his headphones from his ears.

"It wasn't even that funny." He stated, watching as Marley struggled to catch her breath. "If you heard how you screamed you'd be laughing too." Marley responded after finally getting herself together.

"What you even doing here?" Shedeur asked the obvious question.

Marley shrugged "I couldn't sleep so I called but you didn't answer. I checked your location and decided to join you. I got us some food."

Marley pointed back to the pizza, wings, and waters she had sat down when she got here, turning back and looking at Shedeur with a smile.

"I gotta practice Marley..." Shedeur stated, his mind still in a state of worry.

"15-minute break, then I'll help you practice, come on." Marley didn't give him the opportunity to respond, grabbing his hand and leading him over to the food.

The two sat on the field, having a picnic without the blanket. After eating Shedeur found himself staring into space, being brought back to reality by Marley clearing her throat.

"You ready to tell me what's wrong?" she asked, making Shedeur sigh.

"I guess I'm scared. Doctors said this was supposed to be a minor injury, but I been out almost a month. People been saying I'm never gone play the same...I'm worried about if I'm ever gone get to play again at all." He explained.

"You only been out this long because you refuse to be patient or give yourself any grace. You go to your sessions with the physical therapist and instead of going home you come out here for hours. If you would have actually followed the rehab plan they made for you, you probably could've played last week."

Shedeur stayed silent, knowing Marley was right. He had just gotten anxious, not thinking the therapy sessions were enough to get him back to the level he was at before injury.

"And since when do we worry about what other people saying? They say you not gone play the same, you come back and play better, simple. You trust me Shedeur?"

The question made Shedeur look up, offended she'd asked, "You know I trust you, why you even asking me that?"

"Because this week I don't want you coming out here. Go through this week of therapy, let the doctor clear you, and then next time you come back out here it'll be for a game."

Marley extended her pinky out to Shedeur "Promise you'll try." She didn't care how old she was, pinky promises would always hold weight. He locked pinkies with hers, unable to hide his smile.

"Now let's go I'm tired." Marley said getting up so they could clean up to leave.

That week Shedeur went to therapy with a different mindset, doing as Marley had asked. Before he knew it he was back on the field for a game, just like Marley had said.