.33

Veewa swam quickly though the water as she followed the others. We had to wait until Lo'ak was far enough that he wouldn't see us but close enough so we would still know where we're going.

As Lo'ak swam off his Ilu and into an opening in the water we all retreat to large underwater vines to hide in.

Payakan submerged from the distance, swimming closely to Lo'ak as he circled him. His left fin was missing, replaced by a stump, it makes me reach up to touch my own scared eye.

We swim off our Ilus, hiding amongst the plants underwater as we watch Lo'ak from a distance.

I float next to Neteyam and Aonung, much to my demise.

Payakan opens his mouth wildly, the width and length of many Navis. Lo'ak swims towards him, into his mouth.

As Lo'ak swims into Payakand mouth, he closes it, trapping Lo'ak inside.

Shit

Neteyam and I immediately swim forwards but Tsireya stops him and Aonung stops me.

"He's okay," Aonung signs, resting his hand on my shoulder for a little too long.

I smile slightly at him before moving my shoulder and his hand falls off. I turn back to Lo'ak and Payakan, praying he'll be okay.

We couldn't see Lo'ak, just Payakan floating in the water. Payakans jaw wasn't moving, but maybe Tulkun can eat without their jaw moving? I hope not.

My ears flutter as I hear something behind us, a tail swashing through the water. As I turn around I see Tonowari and two other Navi swimming towards us as they dive off their Tsuraks.

Shit

I tap Aonungs shoulder, pointing behind us and then doing the same to Neteyam.

Once everyone knows their there I swim out from out hiding place, coming face to face with the Tulkun.

He stares at me with wide eyes. His eyes looked, petrified, like he had seen a ghost.

I put a hand out, patting the area around his eye and he clicks. Payakan then opens his mouth and Lo'ak swims out.

Immediately I swim towards him, grabbing his bicep and pointing to where the others are.

Tonowari finally caught up to us and wore a disappointed look on his face.

"Go," I sign to Payakan, before swimming back to the others, Lo'ak following.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ronal breathes heavily as we follow her towards their Mauri. It was large, bigger than any I've seen, which makes sense.

I stood behind Aonung as we walked, ready to defend Lo'ak when he gets shit for bonding with Payakan.

"You allowed this," Ronal says as we step into the Mauri. "You allowed him to bond with the outcast!"

Tsireya breathes shakily as her parents publicly shame her in front of us. She didn't do anything wrong.

"Tsireya, you disappoint me daughter," Tonowari stands in front of her.

I see Aonung twitch beside me, his face drops as their father talks to Tsireya in such a harsh way.

Jake and Neytiri run towards the Mauri, being able to tell something is wrong.

"And you, son of great warriors who has been taught better," Tonowari points to Jake and Neytiri.

"Payakan saved my life sir, you don't know him," Lo'ak defends himself.

"No, Lo'ak," Tsireya warns.