Chapter 3: Drive

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I grunted and punched the snooze button on my alarm, begging for at least one more minute of sleep. That's when my brain decided to remember.

Fuck, gotta get to the airport.

I dragged myself out of the bed and went over to the backpack that I equipped with all my essentials. Out of it I pulled my toothbrush and toothpaste, trudging towards the bathroom.

Once I had finished, I fished my clothes out and changed fairly fast, trying to be as quick as possible.

Grabbing my backpack I bolted out of the front door, running down the halls and into the elevator. I frantically pressed the button, now looking at my watch. If I was gonna catch my flight I needed to hurry the fuck up.

The second I saw the elevator open I ran- without looking. I slammed into someone and I was knocked onto the floor, winded.

I could hear someone mumbling, so I sat up and started swinging my head around.

Just then, someone entered my vision.

"Hello," They greeted, giving my a small grin.

I awkwardly smiled back, "Uh, hi."

"Why are you in such a rush?" They asked.

I looked them up and down. The person was wearing a long, black coat paired with baggy jeans. They had short black hair and a nice pink hat.

"Erm, I have a plane to catch. What's your name?"

They chuckled, "I'm Wendyl, but most people call me Del. I can give you a ride, if you want."

I widened my eyes, "Oh, no that's too sweet of you I don't-"

They glanced at me, "Do you want to be late?"

"No." I stated.

Wendyl just stood there.

"Fine." I gave in, following Wendyl to their car. I know it's a stupid idea to follow a stranger into a vehicle, but I didn't care anymore. And besides, Wendyl seemed nice.

"Okay, buckle up, the airport, right? I'm assuming Portland."

"Yeah." I responded.

They pressed the gas and the car started to move. I yawned and looked outside at the cloudy morning sky, the hues all mixed together to create a work of art. I always wanted to be an artist, but I realized that an art career doesn't make you much money.

Out of reflex, I pulled out my box of cigarettes, but then realized that Wendyl probably didn't want me to smoke in their car. I put it back into my backpack.

Speaking of, I kept on calling Wendyl they, because I had no idea what gender they were.

This probably sounded stupid, but I decided to ask.

"Hey, uh- this might be a dumb question but, what gender are you?"

Wendyl sighed, "Inevitable, huh? I'm actually a transgender male. That means I was born a female but I identify as a male now."

"Oh." I responded.

He chuckled, "No need to be embarrassed, I tell straight people all about the LGBTQ+ community all the time. You're one of the nice ones."

I glanced at him through the front mirror, "Who said anything about straight?"

He looked taken aback, "Oh, sorry for assuming. I guess there aren't many gay people around these parts. What's your sexuality, or are you unlabeled?"

"I'm actually Omnisexual," I told him, "I normally have to explain it to everyone."

I didn't tell him about my other sexuality, though. Most people made fun of me for it.

"Heh, count me as one more." He chuckled.

I sighed jokingly, "Well, being omnisexual basically means that you like all genders, but you're mainly attracted to one. It's like having a preference."

Wendyl nodded, "Nice, so which gender is your preference?"

"I like guys." I told him.

"Cool." He stated.

I rested my head on the car door using my backpack as a pillow. Sooner or later, I drifted into sleep.