12. The Saddest and Weirdest Day of my Life

Last night I was so...occupied with Alex (stop waggling those perverted eyebrows please) that I almost forgot what day it was today.

It was the day my father died.

The day my entire world pretty much collapsed faster than a house of cards.

Now, unlike previous years, I was determined to not let this turn me into a sniffling little bitch. Not that I don't miss my dad (or my other parent whom I also lost), but here's the plain truth: Life goes on.

Shit happens. People die. At some point in our lives, people we love leave us. It's tough to deal with, but the thought that keeps me going is this: If my dad saw me now, he would most definitely not want me to waste my life moping about his death. He would probably prefer me leaving a mark on this world and doing something to make him proud.

And besides, I just don't like tears.

So I attempt to put on a happy outfit. For the first time this year I am wearing BLUE Capri pants with a plain purple shirt.

Okay, so maybe the shirt is so dark it looks almost black. But whatever. I've even let most of my hair down, clipping a bit to the side. If THAT doesn't count as a happy effort, I don't know what does.

Uncle Tom greets me with a somber smile. Before he can start the whole "he was a great man" speech, I introduce a new topic. "Why is Alex working at your diner?"

"Well," Uncle Tom looks clearly uncomfortable, "There was a vacancy, and the boy was looking for a job, and—"

"There are fifty other boys looking for jobs in this town. Maybe even some grown men and cat ladies. Why pick him?"

Uncle Tom puts on his defensive face, "He's a nice young man."

"Oh my God," I breathe out, "You did NOT just call him a nice young man!"

"But he is," The man actually has the nerve to continue, "He's polite and smart and—" 

"NOOOO" I wail, "I am trying to have a happy, unicorns-farting-out-rainbows day. Please do not ruin it with all this Alex-ism." As I walk towards the door, stuffing the last bit of pancake in my mouth, Uncle Tom says in a soft voice, "Honey, it doesn't work that way. It didn't work these last few years."

"Well, it will this year," I say confidently. I pretend to not hear the audible sigh escaping Uncle Tom's lips as I shut the screen door.

*

*

*

"Holy golden brown nuggets."

"Uh...is that some new description guys are using to talk about their balls or something?"

"Stop trying to change the subject Meg," Alex said as he looked me up and down in the school hallway, "What happened to you?"