Three Fish

"Unbelievable," Yuel said under his breath.

"Okay, that will be the seating arrangement for the first semester," Ms. Kim said.

Class one had English for fourth period, which was with their homeroom teacher. After going through the textbook and syllabus, Ms. Kim announced that seats would be changed randomly by drawing lots.

The students took the next few minutes to move their desks to their respective new spots. Edin and Yuel were the only two to stay right where they were.

"I think this is what people call fate," Edin said, grinning happily.

Yuel could only let out a long sigh. It was currently March, and he was stuck with this boy until August when the second semester would begin. Hopefully, by then, he would be left alone. If not, he was in for a hard five months.

Once everyone got settled down, Ms. Kim moved on to the next matter at hand.

"We now need to pick the class representative and the vice representative. Since I'm sure you all will be busy with college entrance exams, there won't be too many duties for the reps this year. Is there anyone who would like to volunteer?"

No one raised their hand. As the teacher said, third-years had too much to worry about regarding college exam preparations to waste even a second on anything else.

After a minute of waiting, Ms. Kim said, "No one? Then, I'll have to be the one to pick—"

"I think Chu Euiheon should do it!" Hamin said, pointing to the boy in front of him. The two of them were now seated by the wall opposite the window in the middle row. "He's the most responsible person I know."

While Euiheon did agree with him, he didn't appreciate that the one time Hamin complimented him was because of something as tedious as becoming the class representative.

"Euiheon, are you okay with taking on the role?" Ms. Kim asked, looking at him rather hopefully.

Euiheon sighed. "Sure, I guess. But only if Seong Hamin becomes the vice rep."

A few snickers sounded across the room from the prospect of having Hamin, the boy who spent more time sleeping than being awake in class, be the vice rep. However, no one objected to it, mainly because everyone else was just glad they hadn't been nominated in his stead.

"Alright," Ms. Kim said.

"Ms. Kim, how come you won't ask if I'm okay with it?" Hamin protested.

"Hamin, we all know that you could use devoting a bit more time to school activities."

A second round of snickering ensued.

"This is so unfair..."

Euiheon turned his head a bit and whispered, "You should have kept your mouth shut then, dumbass."

"Ugh..."

"It's settled," Ms. Kim said. "The class rep for the year will be Euiheon, and the vice rep will be Hamin."

The bell rang right on cue, marking the end of the period.

"Have a good lunch, everyone."

"Any clue what's on the menu today?" Hamin asked as he and Euiheon walked over to Edin's desk.

Euiheon replied, "Probably a lot of vegetables. Our school has the worst menus on Mondays."

"Ugh..."

"You're still going to eat all of it, aren't you?"

"Of course. Now that I'm the vice rep, I'll be needing all the energy I can get."