15.

the wrath of a woman
~ mentions of sexual assault & alcoholism ~

The Cullen's house suddenly feels colder than I remember as Alice pulls into the garage in her yellow porche

The Cullen's house suddenly feels colder than I remember as Alice pulls into the garage in her yellow porche. No adoring boyfriend is waiting for me the second I get out of the car, and Alice seems to be torn in half between her loyalty to her brother and her loyalty to me. I wouldn't be mad at her if she chose to go to her brother's aid, if anything it would ease the guilt. But she had still promised to pick me up and bring me to the house so we could finish the planning for this weekend. For the arrival of Victoria and her army.

"I'm surprised you're even brave enough to show your face here." Rosalie sneers at me, looking up from the engine of her M3, which she is tweaking. "Come to pour more salt into Edward's wounds."

But I can't tell if she's taunting me, under the surface there seems to be a trace of something else as I stare at her perfect, symmetrical face longer. Almost as if she was hoping this would happen, hoping I'd break Edward's heart. However, I don't stand around long enough to ask as Alice is quick to push me towards the stairs from the garage into the rest of the house while Rosalie finishes her work on her car.

It hits me like a wall as I reach the living room, Jasper is sitting in the corner practically shivering in his attempt to dissipate any high emotions that may arise while I'm here. Alice quickly flocks to his side to soothe him as I stand in the living room awkwardly. Gone is Esme's warm welcome, Carlisle stares at me like I'm some bizarre specimen he needs to examine and find out why I broke his son's heart. And when Edward finally joins the family, he looks at me like I'm death itself, dropping his gaze to the floor and burying his hands in the pocket of his cobalt blue hoodie. My favorite one.

"Even with the way things have gone, we owe it to her to keep her safe. Heather saved Alice and Edward in Volterra, we're repaying that kindness." Carlisle finally speaks once Emmett and Rosalie enter the room. Everyone stands frigid around me, hurt, anger, and grief cause them to stand like statues, forgetting to breathe or blink. I feel like I'm in an uncanny valley thinking about just how warm they once were to me just days before.

"Wasn't she just repaying us for James?" Rosalie asks in a cold tone. I nod along, I would understand if the Cullens decided to quit protecting me, I had a place in the pack now. I was bound to their protection by blood.

"Rose, we made a promise. Yes, the circumstances have changed, but we will fulfill our promises. That includes dealing with Victoria and changing her in August." Esme finally speaks, agreeing with her husband. "And Edward has already said he'll do it himself, as his family it would be wrong to let him do it alone."

My gaze drifts over to Edward, and for a moment we stare at each other. He's trying to read my mind, I know, and I'm trying to read his. Wishing I knew what he was thinking. Hearing that he's still promised my protection causes my heart to ache, especially when I am not returning the same kindness.