08.

the treaty

We stand at the edge of the invisible line that divides the Cullen's hunting ground from the Quiluete's land

We stand at the edge of the invisible line that divides the Cullen's hunting ground from the Quiluete's land. Though Sam had been disgruntled upon hearing my request to speak with the Cullens, he'd arranged a time and place for us to meet, with the condition that he, and whoever he'd bring, stayed phased as wolves. So the decision had been made that only Carlisle, Edward, and I would go and meet.

The sun is setting between the thick of pines, Edward and Carlisle stand frozen, fully keeping themselves guarded. But I'm not, I'm not afraid of something bad happening to me, and the chances of a fight actually happening are almost none. Especially since Sam was bringing Jared, who's more tolerant of the Cullens compared to some of the others.

Edward and Carlisle seem to stand straighter, their posture stiff as my ears finally hear the hitting of underbrush and muffled thudding of heavy paws against the fallen pine needles. Finally, they emerge, the two giant wolves with their ears laid back, eyes narrowed, and a clear sign of disinterest in us.

"Thank you for coming, Sam. This means a lot to me and my family. We wouldn't have wasted your time if it wasn't important." Carlisle speaks up, trying his best to come across as friendly as if we didn't need them as our allies.

"He says to just tell him the problem," Edward says wincing, after sifting through Sam's thoughts. I'm certain that, despite actually showing their faces, they were still incredibly hostile towards the Cullens. And Sam's thoughts would only be harsher than the words I've heard him say towards them.

"I'm not sure how much Heather has told you, but Victoria has decided to make another move, trying to get to her. Expect this time, it isn't something that just my family or yours can deal with separately. She's creating an army of newborn vampires. They're stronger than we are, and their numbers are more. But with your help, and my son Jasper's experience, it'll be something we can overcome." I watch Sam, curious for his reaction but he stays collected and calm. Jared on the other hand, seems to be shaking with nerves.

"He wants to know how many?" Edward says, continuing to work as our translator.

"About twenty-five. And from what my daughter, Alice, has seen they plan on coming close to town." That sentence is enough to bring Sam to our side, and willing to help, he bares his sharp teeth. It reminds me just how intimidating the wolf can be. "Sam, I know you have all the reasons not to want to help or trust us. But this is important, and a dangerous thing. If the newborns keep drawing attention to themselves, then my kind's governing leaders will get involved. And the Volturi have no mercy towards werewolves or those similar."

Silence falls as Carlisle and I wait for the response Edward will give. I worry he won't be willing to trust us, but with something as catastrophic as an army of blood-thirsty, uncontrollable vampires coming to the area, I knew he couldn't resist.

"He said he'll do it. But they'll need a better understanding of newborn vampires and how to deal with them." Edward speaks, a sigh of relief escaping my mouth at the words. We had an understanding and a common cause.

"Jasper can provide that training and knowledge." Carlisle nods, feeling the same relief that Edward and I do. "Thank you, Sam. And after this has been done and taken care of, we'll return to how it was before. Still keeping the treaty intact."

The wolf nods before turning away from us, not wanting to spend another moment in our presence. Jared follows behind Sam, only briefly glancing at me before they disappear into the thick of the forest ahead.

"Well, that's a start." Carlisle finally speaks as Edward offers me a hand, pulling me up from the log I'd been sitting on.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Training would be strange, unlike anything I'd ever actually seen. Watching Jasper teach and lead both the Cullens and the pack so they'd be equipped to deal with the newborn army. There wasn't anything I could do during the time, but watch the people who'd been kind enough to put aside prejudices to protect me and protect Forks.

I smile as Leah comes and sits next to where I stand, I glance over at her as she watches Paul and Jared nip at each other. "Can't say this was how I expected to spend my summer break. Once again dealing with an obsessive, psychotic vampire who wants me for dinner."

She swats me with her tail as our attention is turned to a loud cracking noise, the result of Emmett having been completely thrown into the trunk of a tall pine tree. Instinctually I wince, but he jumps up from the ground like nothing had happened, demanding he and Edward have another fight. However, it's already a losing fight for Emmett since my boyfriend already knew every move he planned.

"But, I've got to just wait until September, right? And then I'll be just as bulletproof as the rest of you." I end the sentence with a frown, and though Leah cannot effectively communicate with me whilst being a giant wolf, I know she feels bitter about the situation. Having expressed that she wished things were different, and that I had another option besides vampirism or death. Especially since Leah has joined the throng of people who are aware of my growing distaste towards Edward. Something that clouded and worried my mind almost as much as the threat of Victoria. "I don't know what I'm going to do, Leah."

She turns her head to me, wanting to speak but our communication is limited, so instead she lowers her head, mirroring my discontent. Leah stays by my side until Edward walks over, covered in dirt and grime from being thrown around.

"Are you okay?" I ask, knowing that no damage had actually been done especially since he has a pleasant smirk plastered across his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. We're finished for the day, so I'll take you back home." Edward tells me, throwing an arm around my shoulder as Leah distances herself from him. It aches to see the discomfort she has towards him, the visible distaste all of the pack has shown towards the Cullens. I keep hoping with them joining together to stop Victoria they'd be able to see each other as equals, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

"Oh, and Leah wants me to tell you that you're invited to a cookout Thursday night on the Rez. Specially invited by Sue Clearwater." He informs me, relaying Leah's thoughts to my ears.

"Okay, Thursday night." I nod, before Leah and the rest of the wolves depart from us, leaving the Cullen clan and me. I almost want to go with them, distance myself from Edward and his grasp as he leads me to where the Jeep is parked a hundred yards away.

Sometimes, I think Edward's beginning to catch on to my change of heart. We never seem to go out anymore, even before the threat of Victoria, we don't hang out like we used to. He doesn't come around my house to talk about the latest books we've read, and Edward never plays the piano for me. The drift is present, it hangs in the air around us, but neither of us wants to be the one who mentions it. It's a hard pill to swallow when I'd deluded myself into thinking we'd be able to pick up where we'd left off like none of the heartbreak had happened. But it stands so clearly in front of me, glaring back at me in the mirror that I've changed, and my attitude towards Edward has grown hostile.