Lathen and I's relationship started from a friendship. Admittedly, I did like him romantically at the time when he asked me on a date.

But then my dreams about my fate began to manifest, and after a few short weeks, vivid dreams about a life with Lathen showed me a future I didn't like.

My crush fizzled out, and I decided we were better off as friends.

Quinn on the other hand...

"You really expect us to believe that?" her eyes met mine, but she gave nothing away.

"Yes. Because that's what happened."

"Surely, that's not the only reason."

I shrug, "It wasn't fair on him to dream of another dude," I mutter.

Quinn went quiet and only hummed.

"Ooh! Have you had another? I bet it was saucy," Seri jumped in, wiggling her eyebrows.

I laughed but didn't respond, instead directing a quest to Quinn, "How are you and Devan?"

"Oh yeah! Ah, and your 2nd anniversary is coming up! Any plans?" Seri asked...

__________

"There." I said, trimming the last bit to her pixie cut, "How's that?" I said.

"Perfect, you are a genius!" Quinn gushed, ruffling her fresh, red-dyed hair.

"Red suits you," I say, admiring her short locks.

"Every colour suits Quinn," Seri pointed out, winking.

I agreed and began to yawn.

"Boring you already?" Quinn teased, "Looks like you need some beauty sleep."

"Come on, Lexi. It's getting late anyway!" Seri said, tapping her hands on my shoulders.

Bed sounded like a lovely idea. My tired eyes blinked as we prepared to leave.

_____

Dropping off Seri, I finally made it home.

Unlocking the front door, Mrs Crowley, a friendly neighbour, and my brother's babysitter, greeted me.

"Hi, Mrs Crowley. Thank you for looking after Alex."

"It's not a problem, dear. He is up in bed. Now, don't be a stranger!"

She hurriedly shuffled on her shoes and exited the house. I waved her off and locked the door ensuring it was secure. I practically raced up the stairs, hearing the call of my comfy bed.

It never took me long to doze off, and I only hoped for sweet dreams...

_______________________

Stifling another yawn, I shifted my bag onto my shoulder, and I smiled goodbye at Alex as he exited the car. I focused on the entrance to the school and watched Alex hurried off to his small group of friends at the top.

I checked the group chat, looked at the previous messages, and jumped as a warm arm hooked around my neck.

My head whipped left to find Seri with a smirk on her face. She pushed me forward to the steps, making me stumble a little. Before I say anything to her, another arm went around my waist, keeping up the walking pace. Searching to my right, Quinn was there, grinning back at me.

My face lights up with a smile as the whispering starts in my left ear.

"So, what do you reckon?" Seri began.