Chapter 15

It had looked so promising just a moment ago

It had looked so promising just a moment ago. The EMP field they had created was working, and for a pretty long time, it even looked like the enemy—who according to Yorin was definitely Enor even though he had no idea how that was possible—was running out of soldiers.

And then a swarm of new aircrafts came, even more numerous than the first one. But if it were only that, it wouldn't have been that bad—they still had the EMP generators. The much, much bigger problem, both literally and figuratively, was the huge aircraft that appeared out of nowhere over the mountains, and was now casting an ominous shadow over everything within sight.

"Uh, should we run?" Nef asked, looking over at Yorin who was staring at the metal monstrosity above with horror. Nef wanted to say Yorin's name to get his attention but nearby crashing aircrafts did it for him instead.

Whatever he said Nef didn't even hear, though. All he could take in at the moment was the huge object that was no doubt a gun the massive aircraft was pointing their way. He wanted to point that out, run, anything, but he couldn't make himself move at all as the weapon started glowing deep green as it charged up.

And then, as the light shot towards them, and Nef prepared for a second death, something blocked off the beam.

When he got over his shock, Nef realized that one of the aircrafts got in the way, and had been turned into a smoldering, half melted heap of metal. He flinched as he felt a hand on his shoulder, relaxing when he saw it was just Yorin.

"We need to leave. Immediately," he said, his voice calm and firm, but his eyes were panicked.

Nef was in no position to argue, especially once he saw the weapon start glowing again, and so he climbed onto Yorin's back as soon as he switched forms. Yorin took off faster than Nef had ever seen him before, and in the blink of an eye left the beach behind.

Nef didn't like that they had to retreat, but he had to be realistic. He probably wouldn't be much help here, not to mention he didn't want to die. And whoever was controlling that laser beam, or whatever it was, clearly didn't want to take any prisoners.

But the Iritharian army could handle it, right? Right?

I see Nira has found Sylari, Yorin told him in his mind, making Nef flinch again. He quickly looked around, trying to figure out what Yorin was talking about. It didn't take him long. Right behind them was...something flying. Like a mix of a lizard and a bird. Nef couldn't identify it well over the distance, but what he could identify was the person getting a ride from the Eternal, which he supposed was Sylari. It was Nira!

And she was glowing with constantly changing colors. As happy as Nef was to see her, he also couldn't help but be worried about her now. Had it been her who'd saved them? There was no way that aircraft had just happened to block the shot.

Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me? Yorin asked with clear tiredness. Nef wondered if he'd meant to share that or not, but he said nothing, and instead looked back at the huge aircraft. Seeing it from a distance, it somehow looked even bigger than before. How was this thing staying up in the air? It was the size of a small town.