Chapter 12

As it turned out, it wasn't the flying itself that was the problem, it was the fact that Mel couldn't see a thing

As it turned out, it wasn't the flying itself that was the problem, it was the fact that Mel couldn't see a thing. Through his narrowed eyes, he could just see a lot of white, and the fact that snow and ice kept falling into them wasn't helping either.

Thankfully though, Kaleth seemed to have little problem seeing, so he navigated. It wasn't exactly easy, but it was good enough to get Mel to fly where he was supposed to.

The moments when Mel could hear something other than the deafening howl of wind were filled with distant machine gun fire and crashing. Sometimes he could see the flash of an explosion through the snow, but those were few and far between.

He was really getting concerned that someone would shoot them accidentally, but that had yet to happen.

They are completely ignoring the army, Kaleth said to Mel with his mind, his internal voice beyond frustrated. Mel understood why. Kaleth didn't like it when things didn't make sense to him. And they aren't heading to Aleara either.

Mel shook his head as a large shard of ice his the side of his face. It didn't really hurt, but it was uncomfortable. What's the closest city?

Kaleth didn't reply, but the dread he sent Mel's way right after hearing that was enough of an answer. All he said was: Fuck.

Mel pushed himself to fly even faster, his eyes closed most of the time at this point. He hoped he was high up enough to avoid any crashing, but he couldn't know. Irithara had many, very tall mountains. He just hoped Kaleth would warn him if necessary.

There! Kaleth exclaimed, sending Mel images of what he was seeing through the goggles. A hundred or more aircrafts bombing the town on their right. For no apparent reason. Mel knew these people's goal was to attack Irithara, but this....

His mouth suddenly dry, he tried to ignore so very hard what this implied, and instead he just dove right in, hoping that Kaleth would be able to stop this if he got him close enough.

The snow storm was letting up a little it seemed, so at least Mel could tell where he was going now, but he couldn't see any details of anything. Only the explosions and the burning houses. Some of the explosions were from the aircrafts being shot down, which gave Mel some hope, but it was not nearly enough because it always seemed like the fallen machine was immediately replaced with another.

And they simply ignored the soldiers shooting rockets at them—at most simply occasionally throwing a bomb at them. Did this make any tactical sense at all?

A little closer, Kaleth told him. Mel could already feel him radiating power as he prepared to strike. It was beautiful and terrifying at the same time, but right now Mel couldn't care less that Kaleth was shining with the same light Enor had, he just wanted this to stop.

Finally getting in range, Mel watched as one by one the aircrafts were crushed and fell to the ground, swallowed by the inferno they'd caused. Mel was selfishly very, very glad he couldn't see the dead bodies that were definitely there.