Chapter 6

You continued to walk by Ellie's side as the conversation progressed and changed to many other different topics.

Suddenly Buck popped up in front of you, while you were walking, with a purple glowing rock in this hand.
"Found it!" He exclaimed jumping down and moving to the front of the heard. "Behold mammals! A sneak preview of the asteroid to come." Buck tossed the rock up and down showing it off. "A space rock! Fresh from the cosmos!" He then licked it and smacked his lips. "I taste iron, carbon." He gurgled his spit in his mouth. "Oh! And a hint of nickel!" You walked up to the front beside him and as he sighed and looked at the stone. "Space tastes so lonely." You stood beside him and pecked his cheek. Buck beamed and turned your direction.
"Would you like to taste it for yourself, love?" Buck asked, holding the rock up to you.

Your stomach twisted at the thought, which was odd since you usually had no issue tasting rocks, leaves, or anything that you two would stumble upon while exploring. It's just something you've learned to adapt to and it helped out quite more than one would think. Must just be the pregnancy hormones taking over and making you nauseous at the thought.

"No thank you, dear. I'll pass on this one." You smiled at him, but took the rock regardless and studied it.

"Hey look! I found another one!" Crash exclaimed as he picked up another glowing purple stone.

Eddie picked up one as well not too far from Crash. "Me too!" Without warning, both boy's rocks began to shake and flew together, sending them back to back.

As you were walking, another rock flew against the one in your hands almost as if they were drawn together. Buck watched as you pulled the second rock off and let go, sending it back together again.

Crash and Eddie struggled to get their rocks apart from each other, but the just kept pushing together. "Hey! Yours is attracted to me!" Crash yelled at his brother.
"No! Yours is attracted to me!" Other space rocks, big and small started to crash into the possums until they were trapped inside a ball of them. "We're just to attractive!"

"Stupendous. Now we have something to play with during our final hours." Diego said sarcastically.

"You're missing the point, Tiger!" Buck grabbed the rocks from your grasp and started to pull them apart and have them snap back together. "They're magnets, and if these space rocks are magnetic, so is that!" Buck pointed at the giant asteroid in the sky. "This can only mean one thing!"

"And that would be.." Crash asked, not understanding what Buck was referring to. Buck jumped over to them, licked his fingers and stuck them on their foreheads.

"Allow me." The boys screamed as they were sent into Bucks mind while he explained how it all worked. You giggled and turned to the group of mammals who were all looking at you with questioning glances. You looked back at them, getting at what they were confused about, and just shrugged.

"Don't look at me? Even I haven't figured out how deep his crazy goes."

After a minute or so, Buck removed his fingers from Crash and Eddie's heads as they finally understood.
"So, we just need to go to the crash site, and launch a bunch of rocks into space! That's easy, right?" Eddie explained.

"Oh yeah, sounds like a real piece of cake." Manny rolled his eyes.

"This is progress! Now we know exactly what we don't know how to do!" Buck exclaimed, picking up rocks and putting them in a satchel. He turned around and grabbed your hand. "Vamanos, mammals!" You all started walking once more. "This trail will take us directly to the crash site!"

———————-

"Okay everyone! Follow the trail! Never leave the trail!" Buck yelled. Your ears picked up the sound of screeching and you turned your head up to see the three dino poachers from earlier that day. You gasped and squeezed Bucks hand, tilting your head towards them, trying not to alarm the others. He looked up and gasped as well, searching around for an escape.
"Okay, everyone. Leave the trail! Into the forest! Chop chop!"