We teased each other and made any excuse to touch the other while getting the stage done. She backed up to check our work, and I purposely stood behind her like I often did – it used to be an easy excuse to get close to her – and snatched her in my arms when she bumped into me. She shrieked with laughter as I kissed her neck and tickled her sides. I squeezed her close and buried my face in the crook of her neck, taking her scent in and barely listening to her as she admonished me.

"Oh, Ellie-girl – are you done pretending that Eddie isn't your boyfriend?" a voice asked.

We turned to Grant, who was beaming at Elle in my arms. I felt her face heat next to mine and she tensed. She let out one of her patented, frustrated squawks before wiggling out of my arms and storming off. I grinned at him, enjoying my flustered Elle. He stepped towards me, setting a hand on my shoulder. His normally kind face immediately darkened, and he pointed at me.

"If you do anything to our Ellie-girl, I will scalp that pretty-boy hair of yours, do you hear me?" he growled. I felt the color drain from my face.

"G-Grant, your h-hair is longer than mine!" I stammered, unable to think of anything else to say. He flashed a toothy smile and clapped my shoulder hard.

"Yes, but I'm bigger and scarier than you. So, take care of our girl," he ordered before winking and sauntering off. I took a minute to compose myself before going to the bar.

Nick had his hands on his hips, trapping Elle behind the bar like he did the first time he got Elle to agree to get a drink with me.

"Quit being mad at me," Nick insisted. Elle scoffed and went to drying the glasses like she did when she was trying to keep her hands busy.

"Quit being mad at me," she mimicked back. Nick's jaw dropped.

"I do not sound like that!" he exclaimed. She shrugged, happy she got under his skin.

"Sounds pretty dead on, if you ask me," she shot back. Nick puffed his chest and before I held my hands up.

"Okay – enough," I interjected. Elle jumped, surprised by my presence. I looked at Nick. "Nick, buddy. Just apologize. You embarrassed her."

His eyes softened and he turned to her.

"I didn't mean to do that," he said quietly.

---

I tried to glare at Nick, but he made it hard when he was watching me sadly. I sighed.

"Eddie heard you," I said lamely. I was still so embarrassed by what Nick said, even though Eddie had pretended like he hadn't heard anything. "And you made me puke in front of him."

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry, Ellie-girl," Nick conceded, holding his hands up. I sighed and nodded, allowing him to step forward to give me a hug.

"I'm sorry for being a dick," I said, giving him a hug back. He pulled back and smiled.

"It's okay. And I wouldn't make that joke if you two weren't always getting' busy," he teased. I gasped and Eddie groaned.

"Nick, come on, man!" Eddie complained. Nick winked.

"Had to get one more dig in," he joked. I rolled my eyes and shoved him away, going back to the glasses.

Eddie leaned over the bar; his forearms pressed to the counter. I glared up at him.

"Quit working yourself up, sweet pea," he said quietly. I rolled my eyes but felt my anger ebbing away at just the sight of his smile.

"You're bossing me around, again," I quipped. He leaned forward, smiling at me.

"I would never Even if I was, it wouldn't work, Belle," he replied, puckering his lips like a fish again. I felt my mouth twist into a smile – he had not stopped doing this for days, knowing now I would not turn him down anymore. I met him in the middle and kissed him softly. He grinned at me, keeping his face close to mine.

"Okay, go work the door, fish-boy," I ordered. He winked and wrapped a hand around the back of my neck and pulled me in for another kiss. I melted into his touch, no longer even pretending to dislike it. He kissed my forehead.

"No getting worked up, promise me!" he said before walking away. I smiled and went back to prepping the bar. I felt my annoying best friend lean into him.

"I really am sorry, Ellie-girl," he said. I looked up at him.

"Took you long enough," I sniped. He smiled and elbowed me.

"Why are you even worried about it? Eddie thinks you hung the moon," he assured me. I shook my head, feeling my face heat.

"I'd like to maintain some kind of mystery at the beginning of my relationship," I replied. Nick scoffed and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Elle – he likes you so much—"

"Yes, and I like him a lot! I'd like to be able to impress him a little!" I exclaimed, surprising the both of us. Nick's mouth twisted into a smug grin, and I groaned. "Stop."

"I didn't say anything."

I buried my face in my hands.

"I have it bad for him," I admitted. I peeked at Nick from behind my hands.

"He has it just as bad, if not worse," Nick reassured me. I sighed heavily.

"I'm normally so much cooler than this normally," I whined. I grimaced at Nick. "I puked on myself by accident. In front of him. And he didn't even blink an eye."

Nick's eyes widened and he raised an eyebrow.

"And he still kisses you like that?" he asked, stunned. I nodded. Nick smiled wryly. "You've got a good one, then."

I sighed and looked back at Eddie, smiling as he made customers laugh while checking their IDs. He really was a good one.

Nick and I went back to work, and I learned how fun it was to have my boyfriend at work. Eddie would walk by, pinching my side or sneaking a quick kiss here and there. Several regulars gushed over the new development, insisting they had always sensed something between us. I went to the bar, smiling at Eddie as he waited there for me.

"What's up, sugar?" I asked, in a good mood. He shrugged and set his hands on my waist.

"I needed to grab some stuff from the supply closet," he explained, leaning in for a kiss. I pressed my lips to his and smiled at him. He winked. "Wanted to see if you wanted to fool around back there, now that we can break all of your rules."

My mouth twisted and I poked his chest.

"You could have had me back there, but you didn't call it my office," I admonished. His jaw dropped.

"You're killing me, Belle," he said. I grinned.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," I teased. He smiled and kissed me again.

"Be back soon," he said, heading to the back hallway.

I went behind the bar to take a quick inventory of the liquor. I couldn't stop smiling, full of warmth and affection for Eddie. It was nice not being at odds with myself.

"Of course, you're banging the asshole who lied to the cops about me," a voice snarled. I felt my stomach drop and all of the hair on the back of my neck was on edge. I turned slowly, desperate to be wrong.

"E-Eric, w-what are you doing here?"