It's A Start

I paced in front of Tape World, gnawing at my thumbnail and glancing inside. Elle was leaned over the front counter, nodding as she listened to Dustin. Dustin was gesturing wildly, venting to her about, most likely, me. I watched her as she took in what Dustin was saying, no doubt making him feel heard.

She was so hard to pin down – she was this person who could cut me to the core and make me double-over from laughing at her insults but would also push me to be better and was so thoughtful. She knew no strangers; people felt at ease around her and took to her quickly.

When we had met again at the audition, I was convinced that she was lucky I noticed her. I knew better now.

I thought back to her comments about the ax and the tree. How I had hurt her. I winced. What had I done that it was so bad to her? I knew I had been an asshole, but was I still one if I didn't remember? I needed to figure it out. I knew that was the hurdle for us.

I froze when I saw them look over at me. Elle was smirking, an eyebrow raised, and Dustin was giving a soft smile. She looked back over at Dustin and kept talking, reaching out and squeezing his shoulder. He sighed and nodded, finally agreeing with her point. She grinned brightly at him and said one more thing before leaving. He laughed and she waved before leaving the store. I waited outside anxiously, watching her as she took her sweet time leaving the store.

"Well?" I asked, irritated that she was moving slower than she ever had before. The normally bustling, venomous girl I was head over heels for was moving at a snail's pace, and I knew she was doing it on purpose.

She winked and sauntered past me, just out of my reach.

"God damnit, Belle," I hissed. She giggled and kept walking, and I got right underfoot. "Well?"

"You need to get back here around three," she answered, looking up at me. Her eyes were bright and glistening and I felt a glimmer of hope.

"For what?" I questioned. She smiled.

"Dustin is going to hear you out. Oh, and I promised that you would buy him a pretzel, too, so—"

"Really?" I exclaimed. She stopped and looked at me, wide-eyed.

"I mean, I can lend you the money for the pretzel—"

"Elle," I started, filling with joy and relief. "You got him to agree to talk to me?"

"I said I would help!" she answered simply. I watched her, my heart pounding. She crossed her arms and glared at me. "Why do you keep looking at me like that?"

I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my face in her neck. I closed my eyes and held her close, hugging her tightly.

"Thank you, Belle. Thank you," I mumbled into her neck. I waited for her to shove me off of her, but she stood stock-still as I held her. She finally wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me back. I pulled back to look at her, but still kept my hold around her. "What did you say to him?"

"That's none of your business," she answered. She was flushed, and she still kept her arms around me. I grinned and pressed my lips to her forehead. I rubbed her back and held her close.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

She was quiet and I looked down at her. I raised my eyebrows, prompting her to answer me, and she groaned, rolling her eyes.

"Don't make me say it," she insisted. I smirked and she glared at me. "Fine. We're friends. I don't like it when my friend is sad."

I grinned and hugged her again, kissing the top of her head in spite of her groans. She finally shoved out of my arms, but she didn't storm off like she normally did. I draped an arm over her shoulders as we started walking and kissed her temple quickly. She glared up at me.