Pretzels

I think I walked around the mall eight times waiting for Dustin to be done with his shift. I went into stores I had never even noticed before – I even walked into a store with fancy clothes, thinking that if Elle ever decided to talk to me again, I could buy a button-up from there for a date.

I was so scatterbrained about Elle that I didn't have time to work myself up about Dustin. I stopped a kind-looking mom and asked her for the time, thanking her when she told me it was two-fifty. I nervously made my way to Tape World, repeating my apology over and over again in my head.

I stopped when I saw Dustin leaned up against the wall of the entrance, nose-deep in a D&D Player's Handbook. I grinned and sauntered up, leaning on the wall next to him.

"You know, I've got a couple of those I could lend you," I said, trying to be cool again. He looked up at me, his eyes widening, but then he immediately glared at me.

"This is the latest edition. Anything you would have would be useless to me," he snapped. I sighed and nodded.

"I deserved that," I said, conceding to him. I looked at him, grinning when I saw him smirk. He immediately gave me a glare and I nodded my head towards the food court. "Come on. I heard that I owe you a pretzel, kid."

I shoved off the wall and he started following me, stuffing his hands in his pockets and looking at his feet. I smiled at the memory of the dorky kid who would follow me to the end of the earth if I asked him.

"You got tall – drinking a lot of milk, I guess," I said awkwardly. He scoffed.

"No, that's what happens when you disappear for two years. People grow up and change," he sniped. 

I sighed and guided him to the pretzel stand. He ordered one, storming off as soon as he got it, and I handed the cashier a couple bills before following him to a table.

He was hunkered down, focused on his pretzel. I set my arms on the table, drumming it to fill the silence.

"So, do—"

"Are you—"

We both started at the same time. He finally smiled and I grinned back. I cleared my throat.

"Um, so, I was told to be honest with you about what's going on and what happened," I said. He raised an eyebrow.

"As opposed to lying and making me feel shittier?" he asked. I laughed nervously and shook my head.

"God damn, between you and Elle I can't catch a break," I joked. I fiddled with my fingers. "No, I, uh, I guess. Well, Elle encouraged me to tell you everything, instead of downplaying things to you."

We were silent again.

"Did Elle's recommendation include you being creepily silent for long periods of time?" he pushed. I grinned and shook my head. What was with the people I chose who could cut me to the core like that?

"Sorry, kid. I'm just nervous," I admitted. I took a deep breath in and looked him in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Dustin. I'm really sorry."

His eyes widened and he seemed shocked by my candor. He looked away, but I didn't break.

"I was wrong. I was awful, and shitty, and so stupid," I said. He kept his gaze down. "I thought that for me to get out of here, I needed to cut anything Hawkins out of my life."

We were quiet again and Dustin sniffled.

"Why did you come back?" Dustin asked quietly. I sniffed and cleared my throat, a lump forming in the back of it.

"I, uh, well," I started. I ran my hands through my hair. "I was really lonely. Super fucking lonely. All I wanted to do was call home and tell you about the crazy people I met or send you ideas I got for Hellfire campaigns."