Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

     "There's plenty of time for explanations..." Claire said, simply grateful at that moment to have him back. "Just... promise me that you won't go off on your own again."

    "Claire..."

    "Promise," she demanded.

    "I promise," he replied, a tired smile pulling at the corners of his mouth.

    "I don't trust him," Valerick growled before banging his fist against the worn wooden table for emphasis. They were all gathered there, everyone sat except Alek that is. Claire had reluctantly left him sleeping in her room above while she went to confront her disgruntled companions.

     While she had expected resistance, she hadn't expected it to this degree – and certainly not from Draz and Rollan.

     "It wasn't his fault," Claire protested for what felt like the hundredth time over the course of the conversation. "He was under some sort of spell. Alek never would have done or said those things if it weren't for that."

     "I think you're blinded by your affection," Valerick insisted, staring pointedly at her. "Your judgment is skewed, you are seeing only what you want to see. I understand that you've been hurting but this is no time to let your emotions get the better of you. That man is a danger to all of us, but especially to you."

     Claire shook her head before looking towards Draz and Rollan for some sort of support. "He's your best friend, Draz... he risked everything to save your life, Rollan... are you just going to sit there in silence? Tell him he's wrong!"

     "What if he's not?" Draz said, his gaze locked on the floor. "We don't even know why he left to begin with. What if this is some sort of ruse to get– what the hell Claire!"

     Claire wasn't sure what had compelled her to throw the remainder of her drink at Draz, but it had happened so fast she'd been unable to stop herself. She slammed her empty mug down on the table and rose to her feet.

     "A ruse? Blinded by emotion?" She looked between them. "Am I so weak minded and emotionally unstable in your eyes that you all believe me unable to think rationally? You weren't there... you didn't see the pain he was in ... but I did. He was fighting back, trapped and with no will of his own."

    Everyone had grown silent, but Claire noticed they weren't looking at her, but instead past her. Before she could turn to see why, she felt a warm hand fall to rest on her shoulder.

     "I appreciate you championing for me, Claire," Alek said softly, "but they have every right to be cautious. In fact, I'll be forever grateful for it."

    "But Alek..."

     "Thank you for protecting what matters most to me in this life," he said, addressing those gathered around the table. "Thank you for continuing to protect her, even though she is too stubborn to see it that way."

     Claire scowled up at him prompting him to grin.

     "I know you all have many questions," Alek continued. "Unfortunately, like waking up from a dream, much of what has occurred over the past few months exists only in bits and pieces."

     Valerick scoffed and folded his arms. "Convenient."

     "It's good to see you alive and well after all these years," Alek replied, turning his attention towards Claire's father.

     "Unfortunately, I can't say the same about you or your ilk," he replied, his voice flat, "however, if you hurt my daughter again I can say, with utmost confidence, that 'alive' and 'well' will not be words used to describe you."