Chapter 7 - Found out

Start from the beginning

 Only after I was dragged upstairs by the girls did I find out that not only did he find out about our little deal with the sweets, but Lady Furina left him with a week's worth of work, a third of which is to be done by tomorrow.

 "He's not angry just concentrating." 

 "Right. It's easy to misunderstand, but you should try to keep an open mind."

 We talked a bit more before we heard the sounds of excited greetings from downstairs followed by footsteps running upstairs.

 "Monsieur Neuvillette said dinner is ready!" A melusine said before running back downstairs.

 It looks like the group that was allowed to go to work is back.

 And sure enough, when we arrived downstairs the room was once again made into a mess by the newly arrived group.

 Now I could see how so many hats and uniforms were misplaced.

 Everything was thrown to the side the second they entered the house, all of them now wearing much more comfortable clothes.

 I helped out as Neuvillette gave each of them a plate and when we were done he pulled me aside.

 "I apologize if I was rude, Your Grace." He said as he placed a plate in front of me.

 "I believe I've said this multiple times yesterday, but you truly apologize too much, Monsieur. You should see me when I'm flooded with paperwork. No. Actually, you should definitely not see me in such cases."

 Let's just say I'm much more disagreeable in such cases.

 "If only if it was just the paperwork." He muttered.

 "Hmm?"

 "No, it's nothing."

 Well, now I most definitely know that there is something.

 I was just about to say something when I saw his eyes flash as he turned to me.

 "On that note, Wriothesely. We should talk about that little stunt you pulled with the seal I placed on the Primordial Sea." He narrowed his eyes.

 His tone was shockingly threatening and informal. I'm quite sure that this was the first time he called me without my title.

 "About that... Hahaha..."

 So...

 How do I explain this?

 "It was an accident."

 "An accident? To me, it felt more like a well-practiced punch infused with cryo." 

 His words stabbed right where it hurt.

 But...

 "Wait. You felt that?"

 Only after I had asked that question did I realize that I had given myself away.

 "Even if I had not, that very question would have revealed it." He pointed out the exact same thing as I was thinking.

 Tough...

 "So you did feel it."

 He too revealed something.

 "Of course I did. I wouldn't do something as irresponsible as leaving such a delicate seal completely unattended."

 Delicate...?

 "I punched it full strength! How is that delicate?"

 Instead of an answer, I only got a glare.

 Obviously, he wasn't pleased with me testing his little creation.

 "And it wasn't left unattended. I go check up on it on a daily basis." I mumbled.

 Hmph!

 It seems my efforts go unappreciated.

 "I'm aware."

 Oh?

 "What? You can feel that too?" I asked sarcastically.

 "Naturally. No one can approach it without me noticing." He nodded earnestly.

 Seriously!

 This is why I don't like talking to this guy!

 "And what's with your sudden change of attitude? You're always like: Your Grace this..., Duke Wriothesely that... And now you've suddenly dropped them both and just called me by name."

 Not that I really mind.

 The only reason I brought this up was because I had nothing better to retort with.

 I would have never expected that this emergency retort of mine would turn the situation into something rather interesting.

 "I always speak with as much formality and respect as my identity requires. Just now I did not speak to you as Iudex of Fontaine, as such, your formal title was dropped as well." He said.

 What?

 "Then just which interesting secret identity of yours are you using, Neuvillette?" I asked teasingly.

 He frowned and I barely held back a laugh.

 "You said it yourself. You aren't speaking to me as Iudex, as such, I cannot address you as Chief Justice either. Unless you tell me the correct form of address for our current conversation, I will have to keep calling you by name, Neuvillette."

 I felt like I was committing some great offence speaking in this manner but it honestly felt exhilarating.

 I wonder just how far I can push our dense Chief Justice.

 Just then, I clearly saw a small smile flash past his lips.

 "While this is turning out to be a rather interesting conversation, I'm afraid I will have to cut it short. The little ones seem to have finished eating."

 And just like that he stood up and walked off.

 Oh, come on!

 No fair!

 Just as I was about to complain, he turned around.

 "As for what, as you called it, secret identity I used just now... You will have to figure that out yourself, Duke Wriothesely."