The Forest

Akira's POV

It was morning. I checked the time: 4:30 am. I sat up, awake, no drowsiness of sleep in me. It was normal for me to wake up early, a habit. Plus, I slept early. Got dress, ate and silently went out of the dorm. The others were still asleep. They were out, probably had a party last night. As per usual.

I walked down the hall, noticing some early risers. I strolled into the training room, wouldn't hurt to practice some skills. I grabbed a sniper, loaded and fired at the target. The sound boomed off the walls. I fired at another target. I fired a few more before going to inspect my shot. All in the middle, exactly. I nodded, satisfied. Every day, I was getting better and quicker.

" Nice shot for a kid."

I spun around to find that Colonel, arms crossed, standing a few feet behind me. I tilted my head in confusion before standing straight.

" Is it time, Colonel?" I asked.

" Good morning to you too," he said as he walked past me. He grabbed a gun. A rifle. He loaded as I walked next to him and picked up the sniper.

" We've still got a few more hours till' we go on ground," he said as he fired a shot. Impressive for a guy who's been dead for years. I nodded my head and loaded the sniper, shot another target and looked at him as he asked his question.

" So, where are your parents?"

I looked away, placed the gun down walked towards the punching bags.

" I don't know," I answered as I threw a hard punch at the bag. The bag swung furiously. The colonel walked up next to me, watching.

" What do you mean you don't know?"

" Abandoned," I said, punching again. I put my anger into the punch, the anger of my parents to leave me at just age 3. The bag swung again.

" Orphanage?" he asked as I moved towards the archery targets, after throwing a few more punches, just to calm myself. I grabbed a bow and arrows.

" Gangsters," I said as I shot. He nodded his head, muttering to himself.

" Huh, I see it now."

I heard him as I fired a few more arrows. Shot on the point. I grinned.

" See what?" I turned to him. He gestured to me.

" Your attitude, and the confidence."

I laughed. Does this guy have a low self-esteem?

" One should always have confidence in themself," I told him. He grunted before nodding.

" Wise words."

I placed the bow down.

" I hope we'll be able to get along well, Colonel," I said as I held out my hand. He took it, smiling a bit sarcastically.

" Yes, indeed." he said as his eyes burn into my sockets. Yeesh, this guy really creeps me out. I felt myself getting scared. I knew I should be. Ardmore had told me about him. I pulled away. His grip had left a bruise. I gritted my teeth. This son of a bitch.

" Get ready, we're leaving in 10 minutes," he told me.

" Yes, sir," I said as I strained to not roll my eyes. I left shortly after him. I strolled towards the aircraft where some Avatars were.

" How you doing, kid?" they asked. I shrugged. Mostly everyone calls me kid, because of my age. Either that or lass. I grabbed my things and boarded. I sat down as one of Avatars questioned me. Those common questions : How old are you? Your parents? Why you here?

The usual.

Then, Colonel Quaritch boarded and we whirled off.

AFTER LANDING

I smiled softly as we jumped off the aircraft and into the forest of Pandora. Beautiful. I had only been here once and I felt close to it, warmth. It was like something was...calling me. I walked into the forest, a gun strapped to my back. I let the way as I stepped over the logs and bushes. I snickered as every small snap made the adults flinch.

A stick snap in front of me and a pack of viperwolves appeared, growling. Their eyes glistened.  I turned my head behind to see them pointing their guns at the creatures. These idiots.

" Put the guns down, they won't attack you ,idiots," I ordered. They hesitantly lowered their guns.

" No shit," someone said. I rolled my eyes. 

Overgrown babies, that was what they were.