Chapter 4 - Difficult morning

Start from the beginning

 They looked around awkwardly, some muttering apologies. 

 "Now someone give me a piece of paper and let's start by writing down everything you are looking for." 

 The list grew rather long pretty quickly, but even as they were all shouting things they were missing, the mess wasn't as big as before.

 Now that that is done.

 "So, we are missing seven hats. The owners of those hats, and only they will come with me to look through the rooms one by one. After we've found them, we'll move to the next items on the list, alright?"

 My question was answered by nods and a few sounds of agreement.

 As such started our quest to search through Neuvillette's house no less than eleven times and by the end of it I was sure that I could navigate through the place with my eyes closed.

 In the end, everything was found and I somehow ended up helping not one, but twenty-three melusines put on their uniforms.

 It was then that I found out that some of them had already recovered and a few could have gone back to work a day ago already had it not been for, as they described it, Monsieur Neuvillette's unnecessary and overboard worrying.

 "And even now he still made us promise to come back for dinner so he can check up on us."

 "Well, it's at least not as bad as before."

 "Right. We can always just slip out if need be."

 I almost couldn't hold back a chuckle as I listened to them talk as if they were indulging a child's whims.

 "Girls! All of you come here!"

 They stiffened immediately hearing Neuvillette's voice.

 "Could he have heard us?"

 "Let's hope not."

 They all slowly went towards the kitchen and I followed along.

 I finally found out what exactly he had been doing in the kitchen all this time.

 On the counter lay twenty-three lunch boxes neatly packed and names written on each one. On the other side of the kitchen were twenty-five more plates with all kinds of food.

 "I'm aware that you don't like to eat breakfast before going to work so I packed some extra snacks next to you're lunch. Make sure to eat well and be careful. If you don't feel well tell someone immediately and have them bring you back here. Understood?"

 "Yes, Mosieur Neuvillette." Rand out in unison and for the first time I saw not just a ghost of a smile, but a real smile surfaced on Neuvillette's lips.

 "Now, if you bring back an empty lunchbox, and by that, I mean that you eat everything and don't just give it away, I might just open the chocolates and candies that Duke Wriothesely brought for dessert after dinner today."

 His words caused quite a stir, as if he hadn't only been talking about sweets but rather priceless treasures.

 Even I wasn't left out as a few looks of borderline worship were thrown in my direction.

 "What the-"

 I cast Neuvillette a questioning look.

 "I don't usually give them sweets." He explained.

 Is that really all of it?

 But in the end, I never found out.

 With some more of what I could only call nagging from Neuvillette, the melusines that were going to work were able to depart while the rest of them started on their breakfast.

 I was just chatting with Sigewinne when a plate of food appeared in front of me.

 By the time I got over my surprise, Neuvillette, who had set the food on the table was already gone.

 "You should refrain from commenting on it, Your Grace." Sigewinne said as she continued munching on her food.

 "Hmm." 

 I was gonna thank him, but hearing her words, maybe I shouldn't.

 "Though, I have to say, you are quite the wonder, Your Grace."

 "Huh? If you're saying that because I found your thing then-" 

 "Oh, no, no. You've misunderstood. Putting aside the matters of this morning, it's already a wonder that you're allowed to stay inside the house for more than half an hour. Not only that. You've even been offered breakfast."

 "Excuse me?"

 "You'll figure it out eventually. It should be starting soon."

 She left behind those cryptic words and ran off to the kitchen with her empty plate.

 Now that I took a better look, all the melusines were quickly dropping off their plates before running upstairs.

 When the last of them disappeared, Neuvillette came towards me, his mouth opening to say something only to-

 Bang!

 "Neuvillette! You won't believe- Huh?"

 I could only stare in shock as I heard a tired sigh from behind me.

 "Good morning to you too, Lady Furina." Neuvillette greeted the archon tiredly.

 Okay.

 Maybe I spoke too soon when I said that nothing went wrong.

 This is something going very wrong!