Chapter 8

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Lay you down and softly whisper
pretty love words in your ear

Lay you down and tell you all the
things a woman loves to hear

I'll let you know how much it means
just havin' you around

Oh darlin', how I'd love to lay you down.

-Conway Twitty

I betcha Harry'd like to get a whiff of Frankie's peach. Ya think?

*****

HARRY:

"You're making my favorite pie." I grin at her.

She smiles, "I just wanted to show I appreciate you letting me stay here, and making me a bed, and everything else...you know? Just wanted to do something nice." There's that blush in her cheeks.

I could just stand here and look at her all day and long into the night, but I better not push my luck.

"Thank you, Frankie. You don't have to do extra for me. But from the way it's smellin', I'm mighty glad you did."

*****

FRANKIE:

The sun streaming through the little loft window wakes me from a peaceful sleep. Judging by the sounds coming from downstairs, Harry is already up and at 'em.

I jump outta my bed and make it up real quick while I eavesdrop on Harry's downstairs activities. I hear some pans clattering and he's singing. I want to giggle, but hold it in cause I don't want him to stop. He don't sound half bad.

I dress for the day, re-braid and pin my hair, and wash up. Normally back home we'd have baths on Sundays, but I don't know what he does around this place,

I'll need to ask about that later.

Last night was real nice. Harry hammered the last nails into the loft steps just after sunset, which was perfect timing cause I'd finished sewing my changing curtain as well as mending Harry's socks and britches. Those things need a good wash. Pee-yew!

After the work was done, we ate the ham and beans I'd been slow-cooking for supper with some cornbread, and the peach pie for dessert. Harry was so polite. He said "please" and "thank you," and he gave me so many compliments on my pie that I know I had to be blushin'.

Then when it was time for bed, he walked up and down the loft steps twice stomping on 'em real good to make sure they were solid before he'd let me go anywhere near 'em. Something about him makes me feel safe and protected, but at the same time I kinda feel like my stomach's all a-flutter and I don't know what's going on with some of the crazy things runnin' through my mind lately. I probably should have gone to church yesterday. I will definitely go next week since I should be all settled in by then.

When it came time for bed and we each retired to our rooms, it was soothing to hear Harry rustling around down below getting changed and his bed creaking when he sat on it. We stayed up a bit talking, calling out to one another like younguns. He sure knows a lot of corny jokes. Some were funny, but others were plum rotten!

By the time I come down the steps, Harry is placing breakfast on the table.

"I take it the new bed slept pretty good?" Harry greets me with a lopsided grin.