Chapter 4

"Where the hell is Maverick?" Payback asked as he voiced aloud everyone's thoughts. Even though we had been told class today would start at a later time, we had been waiting for him to show up for a good five minutes, which was very unusual because my uncle liked to be exactly on time. Everyone turned around as we heard the creak of the door, and everyone's faces went from annoyance or worry to surprise.

"What are you wearing?" I asked my uncle incredulously as I raised an eyebrow at his black jorts and fitted black t-shirt.

"Everyone is to be dismissed to get ready." He said as he gave me a giant grin.

"Ready for what, sir?" Raven asked in confusion.

"Are we even going to have a lesson today?" Hangman scoffed.

"Today we're headed off to do a team-building sport. The Hard Deck was kind enough to let us use their beach for the day. You have ten minutes to get dressed for a game of dogfight football, and everyone will meet me by the garage." Mav said as he waved his hands to dismiss us. Everyone trailed out of the briefing room and began chatting about what Maverick was up to today.

"What are we even supposed to wear to this?" I asked Raven as we all headed into our bunks.

"I'm gonna wear a sports bra and shorts," Nat said as she shook her head incredulously.

"I guess I'll wear a tank and shorts," Halo said as she began rifling through her clothes.

"I knew Mav was crazy but I didn't know that he was THIS crazy," I said with a laugh as I grabbed my athletic shorts. We all quickly changed and headed out towards the garage, and waited as the rest of the guys trickled in. Rooster offered to take some of the guys, Hangman said that he'd take the rest of the guys, and I told the girls to hop in. We all followed after Mav, who rode on his motorcycle, and within no time the Hard Deck was coming into view.

"Alright guys, welcome to dogfight football. The whole point of this is to play offense and defense at the same time." Mav said as he tossed two footballs up in the air. He split us off into two teams, with Me, Raven, Payback, Hangman, Yale, Fritz, and Harvard, with Maverick having Bob, Coyote, Halo, Rooster, Fanboy, and Omaha. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and pushed my aviators back up my nose. Mav pulled his shirt off and was met with a chorus of whoops and wolf whistles from the guys. We all began to laugh, and the rest of the guys pulled their shirts off except for Bob. Nat and I laughed at how they all looked ridiculous in their jorts and got into position to play. Hondo was there to keep score, and to be our ref for the game. The sun had slightly begun to set, setting everyone aglow with its golden light. I shook my head with a smile when I looked over at Rooster, only to find that he had been already looking at me. He knew he was caught, so he just popped a grin and winked at me. Daaammmnnn Rooster. I caught myself thinking when I snuck a glance at him. He bulked up and was rewarded with giant muscles and a nice six-pack. Hondo blew his whistle and we were off, chasing after each other while each trying to catch one of the footballs to score a touchdown. The score for each team began going up, but pretty soon we were all just having too much fun to keep track of who was winning. Hondo blew the whistle again, and I was thrown the ball. I began to run, and quickly threw it to Rooster when I saw that he was open. He ran and scored, while he all cheered and high-fived each other. He gave Coyote a chest bump, then did a little dance as the sun hit him just right. He had his aviators lazily hanging on his face and then grinned at me when he saw that I had been watching him this time around. I raised my eyebrow and winked like he did, which caused us both to laugh. Nat raised both of her eyebrows and gave Halo a smug look when I looked at her, which caused me to dramatically sigh and laugh again. The ball was thrown again, and this time Hangman caught it and scored a touchdown.