36. Choices and Decisions

Start from the beginning

Sanjana looked at him, confused. Karan continued.

Karan: (guilty) "Sanjana, I am very sorry for what I did to you. I didn't even realize how much I had hurt you."

Sanjana: (sad chuckle) "Hurt? Karan, you didn't just hurt me, you broke me apart. The things you said that day to me...I still remember the words loud and clear. You broke my heart into millions of pieces."

Her eyes teared up.

Karan: (hurt) "Sanjana, I know, I had been a jerk to say all those things to you. I regret everything. I realized everything when I decided to break up with Pooja."

There was a short pause. A few drops of tears had already fallen on Sanjana's cheeks, remembering the torturous period she went through.

Karan: (holding Sanjana's hands) "But, Sanjana, the things that happened between us, they were true. I felt happy when I was with you. Those moments were not fake. And...I don't know whether you will believe me or not but I like you."

Sanjana's eyes widened.

Karan: (looking deeply into her eyes) "I like you, Sanjana. I originally planned to use you but while spending time with you, I fell for you. I realized it late but I want to be with you now. So, Sanjana, can you...forgive me? Can we start over again? Give me a chance, Sanjana. I promise you, this time, I'll cherish you for real."

Sanjana looked down, her hands still in Karan's.

After a few moments of thinking, Sanjana looked at Karan.

Sanjana: "Karan," (pulling her hands from his grip) "I'm sorry."

Karan's heart dropped upon hearing her answer.

Sanjana: (serious tone) "I can forgive you but we can't go back to how it was before. I'm sorry."

Karan: "Sanjana, you don't have to give me the answer right now. Think about it. Take all your time."

Sanjana: (shaking her head) "No, Karan. No matter how many times I think about it, the answer will always remain the same."

Karan sighed.

Karan: (looking down) "Can I ask you the reason behind your answer?"

Sanjana: (looking down) "I don't want to return to my past. It hurts me a lot. And being with you will bring those painful memories back to me. I want to let go of them. I don't want to look back on the past. I want to start afresh."

Karan sighed and looked at her.

Karan: (nodding) "I understand."

Sanjana did not utter a word.

Karan: (smiling) "It's okay if you don't want to be with me, but can we be friends?"

Sanjana: (sighing) "I'm afraid we can't."

Karan knitted his brows in confusion.

Sanjana: (looking straight in his eyes) "Karan, let's not meet each other again."

Karan: (eyes widened) "But, why?"

Sanjana: "I know I'm being selfish here but I want to think about myself this time. I don't want to hurt myself again. You broke me apart and everything worsened after that. But..."

She looked outside the glass window at Sooraj, waiting for her.

Sanjana: "Then, he came into my life and changed everything. He fixed my broken self. He never left my side, not even once. He was always there for me."