31. Heart's Desire

Start from the beginning

Sooraj: (shocked) "S-Sanjana? What happened?"

Sanjana: "Don't ask anything, please. Let's just be like this for a while."

After a few minutes, Sanjana sat on Sooraj's bed hugging her knees. Sooraj came into his room and closed the door behind him. He sat at his study table and looked at Sanjana.

Sooraj: "You can cry if you want. I won't judge you."

Sanjana buried her face between her knees.

Sooraj: "Do you want me to leave and come back later?"

Sanjana shook her head in a no.

Sanjana looked up and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

Sooraj walked to the bed and sat in front of her.

Sanjana: (looking at him) "Do you want to do engineering? Is it what you've always wanted to do?"

Sooraj: (thinking for a while) "I want to work in the IT sector so I thought engineering would be a better option."

Sanjana: "Don't you think we should do what we love to do?"

Sooraj nodded in response.

Sanjana: "Then why won't Dad understand it? He's always telling me to do engineering. I don't want to do that."

Sooraj: "So, you had an argument with him on this matter?"

Sanjana: "He's not considering my feelings at all. After our final results, I thought he was happy with me. Finally, I'm able to make my father proud of me. I thought that but I was wrong. He'll never be happy with me. He wants me to do what he likes. I'm so tired of making him understand."

Sooraj: (patting her head) "Let's do one thing. Think about what you want to do and then tell him about it. Maybe he will accept your decision?"

Sanjana: (shaking her head) "No, he will never accept anything other than engineering. And I'm mad at myself too. Why can't I decide for myself? What do I want to do next? What is my dream? Everyone has one. So, why don't I have a dream?"

Sooraj: "It's okay."

Sanjana looked at Sooraj with a confused expression.

Sooraj: "It's alright not to have a dream."

Sanjana: "Sooraj, I'm talking about the future. What is my dream about the future?"

Sooraj: "If having a future is the only dream that exists, then what was the dream you had last night in your bed?"

Sanjana: "I...what?"

Sooraj: "That is also a dream, right? Everyone tells us to become like this or become like that or someone's living like this or someone's living like that, why don't you too? The world never taught us how to dream. I don't think a dream must be something grand. Just become anybody. What we truly deserve is a life. So, you don't need something like a dream that everyone dreams. You just need to find happiness. You need to find something that gives you happiness and makes your heart beat."

Sanjana: (thinking) "Something that makes me happy...something that makes my heart beat...what is it?"

Sooraj: "Take your time and think about it. The thing you love to do the most."

After a few days...

Sanjana was cleaning her room when she found an old cardboard box. She looked at it with her brows furrowed trying to remember what she kept in the box. She kept the box near her bed and decided to clean the other things before rummaging through the box.