Chapter 2 - Peculiar Illness

Start from the beginning

 "Please, no more apologies. They really aren't needed."

 Hearing my words, he left with a nod and I was left behind with Sigewinne.

 "So... What was that about uncharacteristic behavior?" I asked her jokingly.

 The reply I got, however, was dead serious.

 "Act pitiful enough and any melusine can get away with pretty much anything with Monsieur Neuvillette. Now that they have the change, they are all acting like spoiled children." She mumbled.

 They? 

 Is it really just the other melusine? 

 "So, are you feeling alright?"

 She looked fine, but after what Neuvillette said I couldn't be sure.

 "It's nothing major. I just tend to fall asleep at the most random times these days. Hah... How I would love for it to pass already. You know, your grace, I-"

 "Sigewinne! Sigewinne, come quickly!" An excited little head popped up from the stairs.

 Curious about the little melusine's excitement, we both followed along only to find...

 "He finally fell asleep!" We heard an excited whisper and that first one was followed by many more.

 "Took him long enough."

 "Just how long did he want to stay up anyway?"

 "And he says we should worry about our health."

 Neuvillette was sitting on the couch in the living room, two melusines in hand. Both of them were wide awake, he on the other hand seemed to have fallen asleep.

 "Is he perhaps also...?" I turned to ask Sigewinne.

 "Oh, no, no, no. Most definitely not what you're thinking. This is just what happens to someone who decides it's a good idea to take in over forty melusines and take care of them 24/7 for three days without sleeping." She grumbled.

 So...

 He hadn't slept for three days? 

 And here I was thinking that he took some days off because he was tired.

 "So... What now?" A melusine asked suddenly.

 "Since he's asleep..."

 "We could stay up."

 "But wouldn't dealing with us tomorrow just exhaust him more then?"

 "He would surely blame himself as well."

 "Hmm..."

 I have to say, they really did have a good understanding of his personality.

 But now I feel like I've gotten myself into a sticky situation.

 After hearing all that, I couldn't possibly wake Neuvillette up, but I couldn't leave the melusines to their own devices either.

 "I have an idea!" Sigewinne exclaimed suddenly.

 Then, she smiled at me.

 Oh no!

 No, no, no, no.

 I don't like that smile.

 She quickly pulled all the other melusine to the other side of the room and I have to admit it was an amusing site to see.

 So many ears poking up together.

 "Pfft!"

 But soon, I couldn't laugh anymore.

 "W-what exactly is this?" My voice couldn't help but tremble looking at the densely filled paper.

 "A list."

 "Yes... I can see that. But why are you giving this to me?"

 It was a long list.

 An extremely long list to be exact.

 "That's the list of things Monsieur Neuvillette does before managing to put us to bed."

 "Yes. And? Why do I have it?" I asked again, already fearing her answer.

 "Since he's asleep now, you should do it, Your Grace." Sigewinne smiled.

 Oh, Archons, please save my sanity!

 I was just about to say something in refusal when I was met with dozens of pairs of sparkling eyes looking at me expectantly.

 Well, now I'm starting to understand why the Chief Justice is so soft against them.

 "Fine. Fine. You win." I sighed. 

 As such, I started going down that very long list.