The Slumbering Prince

Start from the beginning

"Qi Xiaotian," Wukong grumbled. Not that his Son was biting very hard or that his little baby canines could do any damage, but it certainly wasn't a great feeling to have your own Son treat your tail like some chew toy. He lifted his tail, his Son dangling with it like a fish on a hook. "Little man, let go of me...!" He waved his tail around, grabbing Qi's legs to try and pull him off with a good tug. His Son's grip was ruthless.

He thought they were done with the teething! However, no, it seems. His Son's new favorite pastime was treating his tail with such disrespect.

"What do you want, huh??" He demanded. "What trade do you want? Want a cookie? I can give you a cookie- ow ow ow ow!" Wukong tensed when his Son decided to bite down harshly. "Okay, fine! Peaches?? I can give you peaches!"

MK squealed in delight, releasing the tail to run for the kitchen. He bounced, patting the cabinets for Wukong to unlock the "baby lock" on the door. Holding his tail, Wukong frowned at his toddler.

"Yes, yes." He apologized to his poor tail, going to the cabinet. "Honestly, I'm not sure bribing is the right way to get you to not bite, but... Eh." He unlocked the child safety lock, scooching MK back to grab a peach. "Here you go."

MK took it into his hands, licking his lips eagerly. He turned and ran for his little play corner, hoarding his prize away by crawling into the small fort Wukong had made for him. Had lights strewn across it and everything.

Wukong had tried to pull his kid away from the peaches a bit. Not that he outright wanted to deny them, but just get MK to eat other things. That wasn't really going well. I'm getting a taste of my own medicine. Wukong mused to himself. He could never fight the urge for a good peach himself.

Gathering a few strewn-around blankets, he folded them, placing them back into the basket for MK to grab whenever he wanted. Cleaning up the toys next, he recalled never doing such chores. He wasn't exactly the best at doing them when he was younger either- but he especially stopped after returning home for his Journey westward.

There was no point.

Not when he was alone.

Using a washcloth on the sticky table, which was always a mess after every meal, his eyes flickered to the calendar. Eight days, that is how long it had been since he last saw Mihou.

He had taken some days to recover, finding ⅓ of the time for his deadline had almost come and gone.

He couldn't keep putting these things off. He had taken a long time to talk with Sandy, Tang, and Pigsy about this. They all insisted he needed to be the one to make the final decision on it, but each offered what little advice they could.

"Don't put it off. The longer you linger on this, the harder it will be."

"It ain't gonna be easy. It's gonna be messy no matter what. If you want this, though, it'll be worth it."

"Sometimes actions are louder than words. Show you want to listen."

Yes, all words of wisdom in his ears. Things he would be lost without.

He just needed the courage to act on it. He needed to swallow down his urge to hold Mihou. He would need to bury his own selfishness and want for his love- because he had no right to claim such a thing anymore.

No.

Now he needed to make this right. He needed to make sure Qi Xiaotain could be happy. He needed to make sure Liu'er Mihou could be happy. He was going to be better.

At least as good as he could be. His Master, on the day they parted, had assured him he was made for great things. That he could change this world for the better. He wanted to believe in whatever his Master saw in him back then.