Return to Flower Fruit Mountain

Start from the beginning

He wouldn't...

The longer his mind was left to agonize over the memory. However, the more a quiet thought overwhelmed him.

What if Wukong had wanted him dead?

What if Wukong was so sick of him that he took this as a chance?

What if Wukong hated him?

What if the Monkey King had never loved him? 

In the end, the questions were endless, left with no answers. Now he was back, and the answers he could so easily search for were something he didn't want to know. How could he? They could be true. So instead, he focused on his child and finding them. It was his fault they were left alone. Had he stayed with them, perhaps none of this would have happened? He could have waited until they were born and fled the mountain to avoid Wukong's wrath.

Hindsight was 20/20. Now he had to find his baby.

If the child wasn't here, then that must mean they were born.

He stormed down the steps with a newfound passion in his eyes. His baby was born. His baby was out there somewhere. What did they look like? What did they sound like? What was their name?

Qi Xiaotian...?

"No." he shook his head. Wukong would never name his child after the name chosen by the monster  that attacked his oh-so-precious-Master. Perhaps the child was a girl, anyway.

Turning the corner sharply, he was less concerned about stealth, opting for a more direct approach. He took the path confidently, cutting through the tribal hatching grounds. This was where many of the tribes had their young. Of course, they weren't "hatching," but Wukong had named this place that way anyway.

Stepping over a fallen log, he ducked into the clearing. He was eager to see his tribe after so long. He knew they weren't the same monkey's he once knew, but they would still share the blood of his tribe. The new generation was always dear to him, no matter what. Taking a step forward, his expression fell. A strange feeling settled in his chest when what welcomed him was not a sea of meticulously made nests- but sprouting weeds.

"What...?" he whispered. He moved forward slowly, eyeing the ground for any clue. There were remnants of old nests, crumbling and forgotten. The overgrown wildlife was consuming the location, having been abandoned for... Macaque couldn't really tell how long.

Somewhere in the back of his mind was a dark thought, and it was creeping into his senses and tainting his rationality.

His walk turned into a brisk jog, swerving around clumps of old nests and leaves to cut back onto the path. He was being over dramatic. Surely he was thinking of the worst outcome because of his bitterness towards Wukong, that's all. He was misunderstanding something. The tribal hatchling grounds were probably just moved somewhere else. Sure, they had never moved in the many years he was here, but it's been 500 since then.

Bursting towards the river, his speed was picking up. His shadows were reaching out, searching. He pierced around the seals that covered this land with less caution but enough reason. Searching for any trace of the tribe.

He couldn't find any.

Where were they? Why weren't they here??

What did Wukong do to them??!

"HELLO!" he cupped his hands around his mouth and screamed. Birds fled from their perches at the sound, and the echo bounced off cliff after cliff. There has yet to be a response back. It was deathly quiet.