4

Hayah POV

One month later

Walking out of the hospital, I sighed out loud. This was the end of the one year long torture of my house-job. I was finally done, although, I will miss it but I feel like this one year has aged me ten. I had inhumanely long shifts, that just hit me like a truck, but now that I am done, I can focus on my future career plans and see where I go. 

For now, I have to focus on Fatima's nikkah which was now in a month. The grooms side was going to land to Pakistan in a few hours. I had to go over to Fatima's house and get her ready to meet Ali bhai as they were all coming over for dinner. I have been staying most of my days at Fatima's place, my parents don't really mind because they know Fatima is like a sister to me, plus her house is like only a few streets away from mine, so I can just pop in and check in with my parents whenever. 

I, firstly, drove to Karim Block and got dahi bhallay for us and then drove to Fatima's place and went to her place directly. I walked in to see my beloved best friend on her laptop, tracking a certain someone's flight. 

"Oho itna bhi intizar nahin hota?", I asked in a teasing manner

"Abay shush, I was just checking kahan tak pohanchay houn gay", she replied defensively

"Chalo, we need to get you ready to meet your dulhay raja so yk go take a shower and I'll do your hair and makeup", I said in a exhausting tone

"I will do that, lekin pehlay you need to shower and take a nap because you smell like the hospital", she said

She was right, it slipped my mind. I had a few clothes over at Fatima's place anyway, so I took a shower, set up an alarm for two hours and took a nap.

Two hours later

The shrill sound of the alarm woke me up, I looked around to not find my best friend anywhere near me. I went to the restroom, freshened up, and when I came back she was in the room with some snacks.

I made her sit on the dressing table and I began to do her hair, I wasn't really good at makeup, that was Fatima's forte, but I was amazing with hair. Idk it just came to me. I curled her hair, slicked back the front and did backcombing to give her hair extra volume. She looked amazing.

After she was ready, I drove to my parent's place and got my fancy dawat clothes to get ready myself. Technically, as a friend, I shouldn't be there but Fatima insisted that she wanted me alongside her as she was nervous so I agreed. I pulled out an off-white trouser and kameez with minimal embroidery and an organza dupatta, pairing it with my favorite pair of heels, I was ready

After I was ready, I went and sat with my parents and we just sat and talked about how my housejob was over and now I should consider either giving MCCQE and move back to Canada or if I stay here in Pakistan and give my FCPS

After I was ready, I went and sat with my parents and we just sat and talked about how my housejob was over and now I should consider either giving MCCQE and move back to Canada or if I stay here in Pakistan and give my FCPS. It was something I was still skeptical about, making up my mind to do istikhara for it, I decided to excuse myself and drive to Fatima's house now.

I deliberately went a little late because I didn't want to intrude on any intimate family moments, because you know how desi families meet after a long time. I got out of the car, and was about to ring the doorbell, but I decided not to because you know, I didn't want to disturb an ongoing conversation. I tried calling Fatima but that was of no avail. She probably has her phone in her room.

With no choice left, I started knocking the gate, I was in the hope that, Saeed chacha, the driver was sitting outside and he could hear me. Surprise surprise, he didn't. I was almost tempted to ring the doorbell but I decided to give it one last shot. I started banging on that iron gate with all I had, within a few seconds, I could hear a bit shuffling on the other side, and then someone cursing?

The voice was oddly familiar, I didn't know if I could place my finger on it, and then I heard someone say,

"Fucking finally", and the gate swung open

I looked up to see the same piercing grey eyes that looked back on me all those years ago, stumbling back in shock, I couldn't believe it was him. He was looking back at me with the same level of shock as me. I could see from the corner Fatima coming to greet me,

"Assalam Alaikum Hayah, aap kuch zyada jaldi nahin aa gayi", Fatima said in a playful teasing tone

"Walaikum Assalam, woh main- uh", I replied, still in shock to see him standing here at my best friend's house

"What happened princess, cat got your tongue?", he whispered in a voice that was only audible to me

And he was back, the same guy who I hated for the most part of my childhood was back. It was stupid of me to think that he has changed when he hasn't. He knew how much I hate being called princess, yet he called me that every single time we met up. Khair, it wasn't time to reminisce past memories, so I just walked past him. A billion thoughts ran through my head as to why he's here,

"Fatima, who is that?", I asked

"That was Saleh bhai, he's Ali's best friend from college and he flew in early for the nikkah", she replied

"Oh", I said

Truth be told, it was all I could say at the moment, I didn't want to tell Fatima right now because that would mean her attention would be diverted so I kept this as a before bed talk. Over the course of these years, she knew about the certain grey eyed man who had taken away my night's sleep, but I never told her the name. As soon as we got into the house, I was helping out Raazia baaji, the housekeeper with settling stuff for the dawat, along with doing my duties as the only saali sahiba by teasing my best friend and bhai and laughing whenever they both got red. However, the entire night, I could feel a certain someone's eyes on me. I didn't dare to look up because  I didn't want a confrontation or even the slightest bit of a conversation with him. I just wasn't ready.

Soooo they finally met! 🤌😭 I hope you guys liked this chapter and as always, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow. I love y'all mwahhh!!