Chapter 9: A Welcoming Village, VII

"Let me summarize it for you," the merchant said as he tapped his finger on the paper. "Payment for the vitality potion is due upon your safe arrival at the capital. However, there may be consequences if you fail to pay or try to escape without fulfilling the contract."

"Consequences?" Celia's voice trembled with uncertainty.

"Yes, consequences," he responded solemnly. "If you violate the contract, a magical seal will be activated. It will prevent you from using magic, rendering you powerless until the debt is settled."

She gasped at the revelation.

"Isn't that a bit extreme?"

Not really. Whether I could use magic or not, I was already weak, so it didn't make a difference.

The old merchant's smile was unwavering. "It's simply a measure to ensure that our customers keep their end of the bargain. I've met numerous travellers who agreed to pay but then disappeared without a trace. This magical seal serves as my insurance."

"That's right, nya! We are generous. We would never trick people!" Orion bobbed his head, the hat on his head almost falling.

I could sense Celia looking at me with worry.

But then again, there's no reason for me to refuse the offer since my father in this world is rich.

The old man leaned back in his chair, his expression nonchalant. "You're free to decline, of course. But you won't find a better deal in these lands. My items are rare and powerful, and I guarantee it will be worth the price."

"But it's so expensive..." Celia mumbled.

Fifty golds.

"I'm sure the amount is not a lot for the son of a marquess."

So, he knew my identity. No wonder he suddenly started selling his stuff to me.

"Of course, take all the time you need. But remember, this offer won't last forever. I have other customers interested, and I can't guarantee the potion will still be available after a few days."

The old merchant was trying so hard to persuade me that I got irked by him.

"Come on. Buy from us, nya!"

"Alright, we'll take them," I finally relented.

As the transaction was completed, we bid the old merchant and Orion farewell and left the inn.

What a weird duo.

...

The next morning, I woke up with aching muscles and joints throughout my body because I was sleeping on the hard floor. It was so cold the whole night and with only a thin blanket covering me, I couldn't stop shivering.

There was also Jake who rolled on the bed and then fell on top of me, and my breath got knocked out of my lungs.

The suffering I endured only fueled my desire to get back to the capital as soon as possible.

I met Celia on the bottom of the mountain, where she was equipped with weapons and potions, while I only had a dagger that she got for me the other day.

As Celia and I ventured into the mountains, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease about meeting Isaac again.

"Come on, Celia. I know this place,"

"I didn't know that there's a labyrinth here." Celia curiously looked at the huge stone door of the labyrinth with moss and ivy clung to its surface.

Neither did I. It was Isaac who discovered it.