1.

My left leg bounced up and down - not so much in anxiety, more so in excitement - as I sat in my seat and stared out the little round window on my right

My left leg bounced up and down - not so much in anxiety, more so in excitement - as I sat in my seat and stared out the little round window on my right. My ears were ringing a bit but I barely noticed it anymore, I had gotten used to it in the span of the last several hours. My half-eaten sandwich was still in front of me, neatly positioned on a plastic tray. I didn't want to throw it out, even though I knew I'd never finish it... I now decided I wasn't a big fan of airline meals.

I didn't know any better before, this was my first time flying. My first time leaving the country. My first time across the pond...

America. I didn't really know what to expect to be honest, British people had a tendency to look down on Americans. For us it wasn't rare or out of the ordinary to mock them, call them ignorant or snobbish, but I actually never got the chance to test the theory. I grew up in London, lived there my whole life, never really had anything to compare it to.

Until today.

My cousin - Andrew - moved to the US a few years ago. He got a scholarship, started his studies abroad and never came home. We used to be really close, practically grew up together but then lost contact when he moved out so it was quite the surprise when I got a call from him not even two weeks ago, asking me if I wanted to come visit.

My initial reaction was to decline. I wasn't a very spontaneous person, I didn't do random trips, especially not with people I didn't know. Andrew became a stranger to me, he could be an asshole now for all I knew and yet, for some reason I still agreed in the end. It took two whole days and a lot of convincing from several people, but I eventually decided to go for it.

Why? Because deep down, no matter how much I tried to deny it, I was dying to get out of that fucking house.

Originally, the plan was for me to stay only a week or two, but that quickly turned into three whole months, meaning the entire summer. Plane tickets were expensive as fuck and I had no money... I was going to stay with Andrew at his place so paying for a room wasn't a problem, but I needed to get there and then come home somehow too. If I stayed the whole summer, I could get a job and easily pay for my way back.

It was Andrew's idea and at first, I wasn't a big fan... Everything about this was unfamiliar and I wasn't sure I'd even enjoy any of it. What if after a day I decided that I wanted to come home? What if I hated it there or what if we hated each other and didn't get along at all? So many things could go wrong and honestly, I was terrified.

On the other hand though, I knew it was time for me to finally start living my life. I was 23 and as clueless as ever. I had no sense of direction in life, I didn't know what I wanted, I never had a chance to figure it out really. I always felt like I was being thrown around and dragged along by someone else, I didn't really get to make decisions for myself and I was sick of it.

So maybe the change of environment wouldn't be that bad. I needed something, something new. A challenge. I had to push myself to move forward, otherwise I'd be stuck in the same place for the rest of my life and I definitely didn't want that.