Sooraj smiled and opened the book.

A few days later, in the library...

Sooraj: (after solving a problem) "Did you understand?"

Sanjana: (looking at the solution) "Yes, I think so..."

Sooraj: "You don't look so confident. Let's try doing another one."

Sanjana nodded and took the pen to write down the question.

Sooraj: "The question says...Ka-"

Sooraj stopped in his words.

Sanjana: (looking up at him) "Ka?"

Sooraj: (taking a glance at her) "K-Kabir threw a ball..."

Sanjana continued writing.

After studying, Sooraj handed her a worksheet.

Sanjana: (taking it) "What is this?"

Sooraj: "It's a problem sheet. It contains questions that came in previous years from the chapter we did in Chemistry. Try solving them at home."

Sanjana: (smiling) "Thank you so much."

Sooraj: (smiling back) "You're welcome."

At home, Sanjana was revising everything she studied today when she noticed something that warmed her heart and a smile crept on her lips.

In the book, the question had the name 'Karan' but Sooraj said 'Kabir' while telling the question.

'He is trying his best. I shouldn't disappoint him.'

She took the worksheet Sooraj gave her earlier and started solving it.

The day before the mid-term exam-

Sanjana and Sooraj were sitting on the terrace.

Sanjana: (sighing) "Tomorrow the exam starts...I'm so nervous..."

Sooraj: "Don't worry. We've covered most of the chapters so you'll do good."

Sanjana: (looking at him) "What about Pooja? I'll not be able to score better than her."

Sooraj: (smiling) "You don't have to think about that. Just give your best."

Sanjana smiled back at him.

At night, before going to bed, Sanjana was searching for something in her cupboard when something caught her eye. She pulled out the peach-colored floral dress and the cascade of memories unfurled before her. But the waves of pain, once tumultuous and overwhelming, had now ebbed into a gentler current. No longer did her eyes sting with the weight of unshed tears. Yet, etched upon her face was a poignant smile.

'It's hurting less. I didn't think about you a lot lately. I guess I'm moving on, slowly.'

Sanjana sat down on her bed and traced the scratch marks on her hand.

"Who told you to be like her? You're Sanjana! Not Pooja. You don't have to be like anyone. You just have to be yourself."

"If you think no one needs you then look in the mirror because the person you see there needs you the most. She is in a mess right now. She needs you to care about her. She needs you to think about her. She needs you to love her. Only you can help her."

Sanjana looked at her reflection in the large mirror kept beside her bed.

Sanjana: (smiling softly) "You look a little better than before. Am I doing enough? Are you happy with me?"