Chapter Three

The days that followed my encounter with Max in the woods were a blur of monotony and misery. The weight of my family's dysfunction bore down on me, and the bruises on my body served as constant reminders of the cruelty I endured at their hands. But through it all, there was a glimmer of hope—a small, furry friend who waited for me in the woods.

Each afternoon, I would steal away from the suffocating atmosphere of my home and find solace among the trees. Max was always there, his warm, welcoming presence providing the comfort I so desperately needed. We formed an unspoken bond, two souls seeking refuge from the storms of life.

One sunny afternoon, as I settled into our usual spot with Max by my side, a rustling in the bushes nearby caught my attention. My heart leaped in my chest as I turned to see the source of the disturbance. What I hadn't expected was to find a tall, striking man emerging from the underbrush.

He had a look Marie would describe as geeky or nerdy, with disheveled dark hair and a pair of dark rimmed glasses that didn't hide his piercing green eyes that seemed to bore into my soul . Dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans, he looked completely out of place in the tranquil woods.

"Max, you didn't tell me you had a visitor," the man said with a warm, amused smile as he approached us.

I was frozen, unable to respond as I stared at the stranger. My mind raced with questions. Who was he? Why was he here? And how did he know Max?

Max, on the other hand, was overjoyed. He bounded towards the man, tail wagging furiously, and received an affectionate pat on the head in return. It was clear that they shared a deep bond.

"Sorry about that," the man said, looking back at me with those intense green eyes. "Max has a habit of making new friends in the woods, but I've never seen him take to someone as quickly as he has with you."

I finally found my voice, though it came out as a whisper. "It's... it's okay. Max is a friendly dog."

The man extended his hand towards me, his smile warm and inviting. "I'm Kota, by the way. And you are?"

"Sang," I replied, tentatively shaking his hand. His grip was strong, and I couldn't help but feel a strange mix of emotions—nervousness, curiosity, and a faint glimmer of hope.

Kota glanced around our little clearing. "This is a beautiful spot you've found here. Do you come here often?"

I nodded, feeling a bit more at ease. "Yes, I do. It's my escape from... things."

He seemed to understand the unspoken words, and there was a sympathetic glint in his eyes. "I can relate to that. Sometimes, we all need a place to escape to."

For the first time in a long while, I felt like someone truly understood me, even if it was a stranger I had just met in the woods. It was as if Kota and Max had been sent to me as a ray of hope in my otherwise bleak life.

We spent the afternoon talking, with Kota sharing stories of his travels and adventures, and me opening up about my dreams and fears. Max, of course, was at the center of our little gathering, providing companionship and comfort to both of us.

As the sun began to dip below the horizon, Kota stood up, brushing dirt off his jeans. "I should get going, but it was really nice meeting you, Sang. Max and I will definitely be back."

I smiled, a genuine one that had been missing from my life for far too long. "I'll look forward to it, Kota."

Kota returned my smile, and there was a warmth in his green eyes that made my heart skip a beat. It was a feeling I had long forgotten—the sensation of being cared for and valued.

With a wave and a final pat on Max's head, Kota disappeared into the woods, leaving me with a renewed sense of hope and a newfound friendship that had blossomed in the most unexpected of places.

Little did I know that Kota and Max were about to become more than just visitors to my secret sanctuary. They were about to change my life in ways I couldn't even begin to imagine.