I couldn't handle this alone. 

Think, Alex, think! You need to come up with something, and fast!

The one in front of me had already gathered momentum when suddenly an arrow pierced through its head. The Dark One staggered, then collapsed to the ground, revealing Ana standing in front of the house with a bow in her hand.

She had saved me once again.

She aimed behind me, and I turned around. Four of them had surrounded me earlier, but they stood a bit farther away now. Then two of them headed toward me, and two went in Ana's direction. The girl shot arrows one after another, the Dark Ones managed to dodge them, but the ones aimed at their legs found their mark, crippling their legs. I stabbed the sword into one of the Dark Ones' legs, forcing it to the ground, giving me the opportunity to watch the other one as well. I turned away from the one kneeling, I focused on the one who was completely intact, then I cut through its neck. By the time I turned back to the wounded one,  it was already dead.

It was lying on the ground with an arrow protruding from its neck.

All the Dark Ones were lying on the ground. Four lifeless bodies.

Wait a moment. Four? 

There were five of them in total. Four chased after me, and one died in front of me. 

Where's the last one?

Ana started walking towards me. I was about to warn her to watch out for one of the Dark Ones, as one of them was still missing, when suddenly a sharp pain seared through me. The pain was so intense that I couldn't form words, only a groaning, howling sound escaped from me. I heard Ana's voice calling my name, and she was already rushing towards me. My legs gave out, and I fell to my knees, raising my arm to the source of the pain. With great effort, I managed to turn my gaze to my side to see what had happened.

Blood was pouring out of me, red mixing with black.

It bit me.It bit me, and I'm going to transform into one of them.

My vision began to blur, I couldn't see anything, just darkness, there was ringing in my ears, and pain surged through me. My mouth formed words, but I had no idea what sounds or words were leaving my mouth.At that moment, I wished for death, anything to end this never-ending, intensifying pain. But then, amidst the pain, I felt something else. I felt a hand grabbing me, and I began to rise slowly.

My vision began to return, but the world was already shrouded in a red haze. Ana was pulling me, trying to get me back to the house. Black patches appeared on my arms and legs, and I knew I didn't have much time left.

"Ana..." - my voice was very weak, barely audible whimpering. - "I'm going to..."

"Hold on just a little longer!"

"I'm trying... but..."

"No, there are no 'buts'!" - I heard her desperate voice.

We arrived at the house. Ana kicked the door open decisively and slammed it shut behind us. She laid me down on the couch, disappeared into the kitchen for a moment, and returned with a chair in her hand, which she placed near me. She sat down and reached out toward me with trembling hands. She didn't touch me; her hand hovered over me, motionless.

"Ana..." I whispered.

"I-I don't know what—what I should do?" Ana stammered, her voice filled with uncertainty.

"First, calm down... and..." I replied softly.

"But it's hard to stay calm when you could transform completely in front of my eyes at any moment!" Ana exclaimed, her anxiety palpable.