Chapter 36

"Hmmm, it is..." He hummed a tune with an unreadable glint flashed across his eyes. Unlike his calm and languid front, his mind and heart started a riot which made him more conflicted. His mind was sending red warning signals while his heart screamed its desire and rights. It was a total chaos! Again, only the mild gust of wind could be heard between them as neither of them talked for a while; Ethan being sandwich between the war of his mind and heart while Serena delved into her LaLa world. After some time, Serena's subconsciously asked,

"Hey, Ethan... what's your reason why you married me?" She never asked this before or had any clarification of the reason behind why Ethan would ready to be her husband. It's not that she was complaining as she actually doesn't mind having him as a 'husband'. However, now that she's under the influence of alcohol, this question that she threw at the back of her mind resurfaced.

"I agreed to my grandfather's earnest wish... I actually think I made the wrong step with that." "I never knew I will give away my heart with this decision..." Ethan answered but the latter part came as a murmur because of the ruckus between his should and shouldn't feel towards his wife who doesn't have any feelings for him. However, since the surrounding was a quiet place, Serena still heard his whole statement. Yet, instead of being offended, she giggled in humor.

"You did *hic*. Hehe, now, you're trapped with me. *hic*"

Ethan lightly chuckled by the statement he would never hear on her normal state. Without looking away from the mesmerizing view above, he responded, "I did dug my own grave..."

Meanwhile, Serena just downed another can of beer. Ethan supported his body by his elbow as he sighed in distress. Glancing at the six empty can of beers scattered on Serena's knees, he shook his head in defeat.

"Jeez, Serena... don't ever drink with other men or else --" Ethan mumbled as he rose from his seat, alas, his sentence stopped midway as he realized what he was about to say. Ethan ruffled his hair just with the thought flashed across his mind before he began taking threads towards Serena's lying figure. When he reached her standpoint, he squatted down and let another heavy sigh. This was probably the night that he sighed countless of times.

"Aish, this is frustrating... but, why can't I blame you for it?" He murmured as he scanned Serena's side profile.

"This is driving me crazy... you are driving me crazy." Ethan sighed again before carrying her on his arms in a bridal style. Unfortunately, Serena was wearing a gown which made it harder for him to carry her with thinking much if she revealed more of her skin while he does so.

Serena moved a little as if to find herself a comfortable spot in his arms. Sniffing his light enticing perfume with a touch of alcohol from his drinking earlier, Serena murmured."Gross..."

"Hey lady... don't roast me in your sleep, jeez... this girl, really..." Ethan's brows twitched hearing her honest yet unnecessary comment. However, what baffled him is, how can she tell him that if she reeked with alcohol as well?

Much stronger and very unladylike if he may add; unlike her usual elegant demeanor. It is still shocking that despite that, Ethan wasn't turned off or anything of the sort. Instead, he was only frustrated by the fact that Serena could be this carefree at sometimes and she might be this reckless with other men as well. Ethan strode directly to the Californian bed of her room. He gently put her down as if she was the most precious and fragile thing in the world. Ethan stared at Serena without a word.

"I'm taking so much risk for you, but... huh, nevermind." Ethan mumbled as a slight smile formed on the side of his lips. He moved on Serena's feet that were hanging outside the bed and took off her heels. He had never done this before but as if his instinct tells him what he should do.

"Hmm!" Serena grumbled a tune as she slightly moved. Her eyes slowly cracked opened but her sight was blurred. She saw a figure stood near her feet hence, Serena supported her body to sit. Wiping her heavy eyes, Serena looked at Ethan once again. Seeing his familiar dashing looks, she brightly smiled showing her even white teeth.

"It's you! I thought it was someone else, hehe."

Ethan's brows furrowed seeing that the supposed drank girl came back from her sleep. What's more? She thought he was someone else. Immobilized, Ethan's question slipped out of his mouth even before he knew it.

"You thought I was who?"

"A thief! Who else? Who stole my hear..." "heart..." Wobbling sideways, Serena smiled like a person who just reached the legal age hence wasted her night away.

Serena dragged her body up to the edge of the bed which confused Ethan. "Oi, where are you going?"

"I am not yet done for my celebration! Let the party continue!" Serena raised her hand as she announced her answer. He abruptly stood from her seat which made her head dizzy.

"Aish...," Seeing her abruptly stood then flailed trying to get on her footing, Ethan panicked as he gravitated where she'd fall with his hands placed in a palm length distance from both her sides. Serena nearly dropped from her left but thankfully, Ethan's arm was firm and strong to catch her from falling.

"Hehe, reliable man." She tapped her arms as Serena was assisted back to her footing. However, even before she could take a step forward, her shoulders were held by Ethan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Happy reading ❤️

Like,💞

Comment,

Share😊