10. A Plan of Escape

Adelia

Two days passed without any signs of Jonas or Mr. Lucienda returning, and Bellfire and I didn't waste any time in formulating our plan. So far, the only time the soldiers bothered us was to demand food, which I provided with a grudge. Thankfully, they never bothered to search us, which meant our plans and hidden packed bags were never discovered.

Up until now, they remained clueless as they devoured the last meal I would hopefully ever cook for them. Each time I cooked, I had the temptation to poison it or at least spit in it. But I didn't... I take pride in being the most cooperative, well behaved prisoner after all.

My fingers danced nervously along my crossed arms, and my stomach periodically twisted as they obliviously munched away. Bellfire stood by my side and nudged me every now and then to snap me out of my anxious stupor.

I watched as they finished the last morsels and turned toward us with satisfied expressions. The fatter one quipped, "You're not a very good cook."

I glanced at the plate he'd practically licked clean and smiled tensely.

"I apologize for my lack in skill." Lying piece of...

They stood to leave, and all I could do was hold back all of my impulsive thoughts as they made their way out.

Once the door closed, I breathed a sigh of relief and pushed off of the kitchen counter I'd been leaning on.

"It takes every muscle in my body not to set them on fire." I hissed.

He gave me a mocking wince, "I mean, you're not the best cook."

"Shut it, Xernic."

He smirked and stepped around me, "I'll do the cooking from now on anyway, so it shouldn't matter."

He implied he'd hunt game for us on our journey. Again, anxiety bubbled up in my chest. I didn't want to admit it after I'd talked a big game to Bellfire, but I was feeling doubtful of my skill in magic now that I hadn't practiced the basic spells my mom taught me.

As time went on, it felt like a noose was tightening around my neck, but I refused to admit it. However, when the time to go was near and Bellfire was accounting for all of our supplies, I finally broke a bit. Bellfire noticed me chewing on the nubs I had for fingernails and tilted his head.

I was now sitting at the dinner table, my leg bobbing up and down under my loose-fitting dress, and I could feel sweat beading at my back. He approached me and crouched down to look at me in the low light of the candle near us.

"You're freaking out, Adelia." He informed me.

"Thank you for saying that. I never would have noticed."

"You always have an endless supply of attitude, don't you?" He sounded amused and continued. "I've noticed you have a habit of doubting yourself when things get hard."

I frowned, "I do not. And how would you even know that? We're not even close."

"I'm just taking a lucky guess." It sounded very unconvincing, but he moved on like it was nothing.

"The point is, there is no time to really doubt yourself right now, Adelia. If we stay here, you said we'd be forced to endure Dhernon tyranny. That's the whole reason you escaped before, right? I'd much rather die trying to find this mysterious land your mother told you about."

I had momentarily forgotten I told him the gist of my life story and of the map my mom had given me. I reached up instinctively to feel the pendant resting against my chest and bit my lip. He was right. If I stay here, my mother's actions would've been pointless. We would have separated for no reason, and I refused to waste her love for me.