Chapter 7 - Insecurity

July 1922. It had been two weeks since the twin's birthday. Emma had wanted it to be a small affair and thanks to her mother, Cora had helped arrange the birthday party with a few friends attending. Astrid was one of them and she had given the twins some toys. Emma had arranged a garden party where Robert had rented a few ponies for the children to adore and play with. Emma loved seeing Jamie being assisted by Robert sitting on the pony, giggling and stroking the mane. Lottie loved eating her birthday cake and opening all of her presents, and dancing with Mary. Tom had put on a puppet show later that night. Emma had started to notice that Edith seemed put out lately, she assumed it had to do with the disappearance of Michael Gregson. She seemed to be eating less, more withdrawn and appearing paler.

There had been talks in the family that Cora's brother, Harold Levinson, might've gotten into big trouble in America. Cora's mother, Martha Levinson, had been writing more frequently lately and Emma was a little worried about her uncle Harold being involved in a scandal that would be hard to prove himself innocent.

Emma was being helped by Rita into an olive-green linen dress with a puritan white collar and Rita had explained to her that she heard Robert was leaving for America today.

'Today? It must be serious.' Emma mused.

'I also believe Mr. Bates is also going,' Rita said, biting her lip awkwardly as she buttoned the dress. 'Although I don't think it is a good idea.'

'Why?' Emma frowned. 'He is Papa's valet. It is a part of job to go wherever his lordship travels.'

There was an awkward silence for a minute before Rita broke it.

'I-I cannot say it.' Rita said in a low voice. 'But Anna needs him here and now...more than ever.'

Emma's eyebrows furrowed and she blinked, trying to decipher what Rita was saying. Emma turned to the maid.

'I don't understand. Why does Anna need him now?'

Rita glanced down at the floor and murmured. 'It's not for me to tell.'

Emma chewed her bottom lip and held her head up high.

'Rita... what is going on? And don't tell me it's nothing,' Emma said, catching Rita's eyes widened for a second. 'We are friends, are we not?'

Rita peered through her thick eyelashes and nodded, 'Yes, my lady.'

'I hope you can trust me and unburden yourself...I know something has being going on with you and I wish you could tell me. And why shouldn't Bates travel with his lordship now?'

Rita sighed and nodded, 'All right... I will tell you. But you must swear you won't tell anyone.'

Emma blanched, dread pooling in her stomach. 'I promise.'

Rita took a deep breath and began to tell her what had happened at the night of Dame Nellie's performance. Rita was already downstairs when Anna had appeared there, Rita was attacked from behind, being knocked out by being violently pushed and injured her head and woke up hearing Anna screaming, sexually assaulted and the attacker fled. Rita and Mrs. Hughes found Anna in a rattled state and the three never told anyone what had happened. Just recently, Bates had found out what had happened and he didn't blame Rita in anyway. Emma was horrified at what she was hearing and the hell that Anna and Rita were going through, also at the fact that the offender was able to break in and get away. She had tears glistening and all Emma wanted to do was give Rita a comforting hug.