Chapter 5 - Insight

Hi Everyone, I am back, promised with a new chapter and I hope you all enjoy it :) 

It's not perfect, but if there are any mistakes, please let me know. 

May 1922

May 1922. Emma had just arrived back at Downton not too long ago from London. She had received a telephone call from Tom about issues with Yew Tree Farm and the tenet and asked for her opinion if they should take on the farm themselves. They spent nearly an hour before Emma realized, she had to go back to York. Emma hadn't gone back to the hotel where she and James spent their time in London, instead she had given it away and asked Aunt Rosamund if she could stay once in a while whilst she was in London. Aunt Rosamund had agreed, happier that her house was a little fuller with herself and Edith.

Edith had been going to London more frequently than Emma since her beau, Michael Gregson had gone to Germany. Edith seemed to have a flair for business and the pair liked to go London restaurants like Rules, Simpsons in the Strand and Kettners's Townhouse and gossip about work. Sometimes they invited friends over for a night out in the town. Oliver was one of the guests and to Emma's relief, he had toned down the flirting and Emma could see why he was a good partner in Mode and why James liked him, she had gotten to know him and idolized his passion for photography. To say, Emma could trust him in her absence with her pride project.

They had similar taste and it was comforting to have someone have her back whilst they worked in the high office and work out pieces and fabrics and models and compare their competition.

Now she was back at Downton, she felt a sense of rush to keep busy, which was why she didn't ask Rita if she was even alright. She had noticed that she was still pale and somehow more quiet than usual, keeping a strict balance between work and friendship, it had deteriorated a bit and Emma missed her lady's maid talks about downstairs. She hoped whilst she was at Downton, she can inquire what was going on with Rita.

Emma was heading downstairs after writing a letter to Violet where she heard her father talking. She went over to the drawing room where she also saw Tom and Mary.

'I'm sorry. When's the funeral?' Robert asked Tom.

'What's this about?' Emma said, rushing over to her father.

'Ah, you're here, good. I just heard that Mr Drewe had passed.'

'Oh,' Emma said. 'I'm sorry to hear that, when is the date for the funeral?'

'Tomorrow. Will you go?' Tom replied.

'I will. His forebears have been tenants since the reign of George III.'

'Goodness, that long. But that won't make any difference until we take the farm.' Emma reasoned, scratching the back of her neck.

'Be that as it may, the rent's not been paid for ages.' Mary drawled, pretending not to hear Emma. 'We've served all the papers. It's time to get on with it.'