22. Breaking Down

Start from the beginning

Sooraj: (looking at her sadly) "I know how much he has hurt you."

Sanjana: (shaking her head, tears forming in her eyes) "No, you don't know. No one can know it better than me. He didn't just hurt me. He broke me apart."

Sanjana looked up and tears streamed down her cheeks.

Sooraj slowly approached her.

Sanjana: (sobbing) "He...he..."

She could not get the words out as she choked on her tears. She was breaking down all over again remembering all the memories. Her knees felt weak but Sooraj held her before she fell and wrapped his arms around her.

Sooraj: (stroking her back) "It's okay. Let out your tears. Let out everything you want to say."

His soft words and warm embrace made her cry more.

Sanjana: "I...I hate him so much...He...He used me like a toy...He said that...he would always protect me...that he would always be with me...but they were all lies...He is a Liar!"

Sooraj felt hurt seeing her like that. He tightened his embrace around her.

Sanjana: "And...and I was so dumb to believe his every word...I hate myself to fall so deeply in love with him...I hate myself so much..."

Sanjana let out all her tears while Sooraj held her in his embrace.

The bell rang and Sanjana realized the position they were in. She moved away from Sooraj, pushing him away.

Sanjana: (wiping her face) "I'm sorry...I'm very sorry..."

Sooraj looked at her confused.

Sanjana was feeling so awkward and nervous.

Sooraj: "Sanjana- "

Sooraj tried to approach her but Sanjana moved away from him.

Sanjana: (not looking at him) "I-I should head back to class..."

Sanjana walked away from there.

Sooraj let out a defeated sigh as he watched her walk away.

The rest of the day, Sanjana ignored Sooraj. No matter how many times Sooraj tried to strike up a conversation, she ended it by making an excuse.

At night, Sanjana was lying down on his bed and thinking about how she broke down in front of Sooraj.

'Why did I do it? How can I fall so weak and break down in front of someone like that?'

The next day, Sanjana was walking down the corridor when someone grabbed her hand and made her turn around.

Sanjana: (widened eyes) "Sooraj?"

Sooraj: (demanding tone) "We need to talk. Come with me."

Sooraj dragged her inside an empty classroom.

Sanjana: (pulling her hand back) "What do you want from me?"

Sooraj: "Why are you ignoring me from yesterday?"

Sanjana: "Because I don't want to talk to you. Didn't I tell you to stay away from me?"

Sooraj: "No, I don't want to stay away from you. I want to help you, Sanjana. I want to help you in forgetting your past and start your life again."

Sanjana: (giving an irritated sigh) "I don't need your help. I've already moved on from my past."

Sooraj: "You're lying. Not just to me but also to yourself. If you had really moved on then you wouldn't have broken down like that yesterday. You're still hurting inside and I know that."

Sanjana: (shouting) "What do you know? You know nothing! Yes, you knew Karan and you knew about our relationship but you don't know what happened between us. You don't know how much he hurt me."

Sanjana was tearing up again. She could feel the tears rolling down from her eyes.

Sanjana: (shaking her head) "You don't know what I went through...you don't know... nobody can know it better than me..."

Sanjana started sobbing.

Sooraj: (hurt expression) "Then tell me! Tell me what happened between you two. Tell me how much he hurt you. Tell me what you went through. Tell me everything."

Sooraj came close to Sanjana and grabbed her shoulders.

Sooraj: "I want to know everything. Didn't I tell you to share your pains with me? Didn't I tell you to lean on me? Didn't I tell you that I'll always be with you?"

Sanjana: (shaking her head) "No...no...I don't trust you...I don't trust anyone...everyone around me has always hurt me...I don't have that heart to trust someone again..."

Sooraj: (wiping her tears) "Yes you can."

Sanjana looked up at him. His eyes and his smile looked so warm like his hand on her cheek.

Sooraj: "It will be hard but it's not impossible. It's not difficult to give something a try."

Feeling the warmth of his hand, more tears started flowing down her eyes.

Sooraj: (giving a warm smile) "You have me, Sanjana. And, I'll always be there for you. You can trust me."

And, the next moment, Sooraj felt Sanjana's body against his and her small hands wrapping around his waist.

Sanjana: (burying her face in his chest, through her tears) "Please help me...I feel so lost...I feel so helpless...I want to forget him...I want to forget my past...Please help me..."

Sooraj: (hugging her back, smiling) "I will. I'll help you. I'll fix your broken self."