"Wither? Why'd you stop...?"

"Just... Give me a few... Seconds..."

"Seconds? Wither, we don't have any time to waste..." Though, as he finally makes his way back to me, he notices my struggle.

"Are... Are you okay?" He looked concerned. Too out of breath to verbally respond, I manage a nod. Skeleton was starting to catch on, though. He places a hand on my shoulder, and I tilt my head to look up at him. He studies me for a few moments.

Slightly flustered, I manage to say, "Let's continue now."

"Now hold up just a second," he says sternly, "You look like you're about to pass out!" Just as he says this, I start to feel a bit lightheaded.

"Don't... Don't be silly... I'm not going to pass out from running."

Even though you have for the past few days, my intrusive thoughts whisper. Skeleton looks skeptical. "...Yeah, absolutely not. Let's take a break." A bit surprised at his suggestion, I say, "But, Skeleton, don't you want to get out of here as soon as possible? I thought..."

"Even so, what good will it be if you pass out from exhaustion? Nuh uh. I'm not going to carry you from here all the way to the border. Besides, there aren't any guards in sight. Let's use this to our advantage and rest while we can." He calmly sits down, patting the spot beside him. I sigh, taking a seat onto the ground.

We sit in awkward silence for the next few minutes, the only audible sound was our breathing (well, mostly my breathing if we're being technical.) I stand up, extending my hand for him to take. "C'mon, we've seriously got to get going." He nods and takes my hand, and we continue our run to the border. I was feeling much better compared to how I was feeling earlier.

We keep a steady running pace for a while, before Skeleton abruptly halts to a stop. I give him a confused look. "Uhh, Skeleton...?"

"Wither, I... I promised someone that I'd help get them out of here..." I stare at him with a dumbstruck expression.

"C-Come again? Skeleton, you're telling me this now? Right as we're only a few hundred feet from escaping?" He scratches the back of his neck sheepishly before nodding. "It completely slipped my mind until now..."

"...Skeleton."

"I'm sorry! As I said, it completely slipped my mind!"

"...You're saying that you want to go back into town after we've come this far? Skeleton, this is our one shot at escaping. Do you realize how lucky we are to have made it this far? No, Skeleton, we are not going back into town." My grip on his hand tightens. He has a guilty expression across his face. "Wither..."

"Skeleton, no. That wither skeleton has lived here all of his life. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't break the rules."

"..."

"Skeleton..."

"...You go, Wither. I'll meet up with you later once I've found him-!"

"No! Skeleton, are you stupid?! You will be captured and killed by the Lord himself! We need to leave right now!"

"Then go, Wither! I'm not stopping you... I can't back down on a promise I made to him! He helped me save Slime and Creeper!" Skeleton says desperately, "It wouldn't be fair to him, I..."

"Skeleton, I'm not letting you make a dumb decision like that! What good will you be saving him when you're dead?!"

"I can't just leave him there..."

"Yes, you can. C'mon, Skeleton." He looks me in the eyes before pulling his hand away from mine. "I'm so sorry, Wither. Please, just go on without me." He starts running in the opposite direction.