Chapter 123

(Y/n)'s POV

I used my hands to flip over a large boulder, landing gracefully beside a group of skaters who high-fived me as I rode past. A few teenage boys whistled though I flashed them a half-hearted eye roll.

Sweat, excitement and heavy intoxication filled the air, drowning me in its thirsty grasp. My feet moved of their own accord, twisting and turning, jumping and skidding before I eventually reached a stop.

Reki pulled me over to where the others were waiting. Langa was lined up by the starting line beside a tall, lanky man with a mohawk, who Shadow whispered was some rando intent on beating the best skaters at S.

"He's gonna get his ass beat," commented Shadow.
"He asked to challenge you next," Miya said to me.
"Is he good?"
"Never noticed him before so most likely not," he replied.

Langa noticed me standing with the others before he flashed a soft smile that seemed to light up the whole world. Reki was suddenly by his side, whispering something into his ear. I watched Langa nod like a puppy following orders.

He hurried over just as the beef was about to start and snaked an arm around my waist before his lips found mine in a deep kiss. I gasped though quickly melted into it. Whistles and cheers erupted from the crowd. He pulled away too soon.

"Never knew you were so bold. You certainly know how to put on a show," Joe exclaimed with a smirk.
"*blush* Shut it. Reki, what the hell did you tell him?!"

Langa and his opponent raced past us as the lights turned green. Reki's lips pulled into a triumphant grin, watching Langa skate down the route like a proud dad. I raised an eyebrow.

"Perfect chance to snap a photo. Also, now he thinks you're his good luck charm. Nothing wrong with a kiss before every beef," Reki answered, seemingly like he had given wise advice.
"Ugh you're so annoying."
"Thank you."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't stop the giggles from escaping. He flashed a smile and gave my hand a squeeze. That was when I felt something press into my back. A gun. Reki glanced at me, worry clouding his eyes. We were both being targeted.

"Stay still and don't make a sound," hissed a boy around our age.
"Alert. Guns detected. Miss (Y/n) and sidekick in danger," came a familiar robotic voice.

We turned to stare at Cherry, who now had a gun pointed at his head. Joe was slowly inching closer to the pink-haired male before he eventually tripped his 'capturer' and punched him in the jaw.

The crowds were panicking. The gun in my back was all too hard, too cold, and too dangerous. Reki squeezed my hand tight, trying to distract me from my fear though it only worsened with the raging crowds.

I closed my eyes, hoping to even out my breathing. The pressure from my back was suddenly gone before I was turned around and felt hands cup my face.

"(Y/n), are you okay?" Langa asked, completely out of breath.
"How are you here already? What-"
"I heard the commotion and rushed back."
"Where's the guy?"

Anger flashed in his eyes before it disappeared as soon as it came.

"Gone. He may also have a broken wrist," he replied.
"Hey, I'm alright, ne?"
"If he hurt you..."

I saw the truth, the anger. He wouldn't have hesitated to heavily injure the guy. He wouldn't have cared whether he lived. I turned Langa's face to meet his gaze, which immediately softened upon seeing the concern in my eyes.

"You will not kill anyone."
"(Y/n)-"
"There's nothing more I have to say. You aren't going to go through that pain because of me."
"I-"
"Okay?"
"...yeah," he gave in.

That was when I noticed a burly man behind him, aiming to knock him out with a bat. Before I could react however, he slumped forward and collapsed onto the ground. Reki grinned at us, holding throwing daggers in his hand. Two were embedded in the man's back.

"Damn, someone's learnt some new skills."
"I know, how amazing am I?" he boasted jokingly.

We heard a scream that wasn't too far away. Sumiko was forced onto her knees with a gun aimed at her head. Tears slid down her cheeks as she sat fearfully still. What was she doing here?

Her eyes found mine amongst the chaos, causing more tears to escape. She was trying to tell me to run while I had the chance. Langa grabbed my hand, not wanting me to put myself in danger again.

"Everything'll be fine. Trust me."
"...don't get hurt," he pleaded.
"*smiles* I have you looking after my back."

I stepped into the leader's line of sight, crossing my arms like this was a major inconvenience and stared him down. He held up a hand, quieting the chaos. Most of the skaters had left, leaving only my friends and I.

"So she finally appears," exclaimed the tall, muscular man with an eyepatch.
"This is seriously getting old. Don't you all ever get tired of finding hostages to get what you want? Why? Did my uncle beat your sorry asses and now you're looking for revenge?"
"Watch your words, girl. Your friend's life is in my hands."
"I can see that. How did you manage to kidnap someone like her?"
"We have connections."

He pressed his gun against Sumiko's temple. I felt Reki slip his hand into mine while catching Joe push Miya behind him. There were more guns being pulled out, which made my trembles increase though I refused to show him how much this affected me.

"You're a sick bastard. Why the hell are you threatening her? Well, I suppose she's better than you in every way so no wonder you have to resort to kidnapping to make up for your lack of strength and respect," Sumiko said angrily, though her tone made it sound like she was scolding a child.

A knife was pressed against her throat, drawing a thin line of blood.

"Anything else comes out of that pretty mouth and you're gonna go visit your ancestors. Now, Rose. You're gonna challenge someone to a beef."
"Who?"
"Why don't you see for yourself?"