Chapter 7

(Y/n)'s POV

I browsed the busy restaurant, nonchalantly tapping my fingers against the table. My ears caught flashes of conversations swirling around, my stomach eagerly awaiting the food to come.

Joe carried my order of (favourite pasta) over and set it down in front of me before taking a seat. After a quick thanks, I grabbed the fork and stuck it into the pasta only to stop and realise he was simply sitting there staring at me.

"Don't you have work to do?"
"Not right now. That's on the house," he said with a quick gesture to the pasta.
"I was only joking about the freebie. You don't need to-"
"Then accept it as a friend."
"*smiles* Alright."
"Have you finished with Shadow's board?"
"Yep, Reki helped me."

I dished the skateboard from the straps attaching it to my bag, unintentionally knocking my own board into the fray of customers. A foot stopped it in its tracks before kicking it up. Cherry heaved a sigh and brought it over.

"Thanks."
"Ha! What the hell is this?" Joe exclaimed while laughing boisterously.
"Heh, I hope Shadow likes it as much as you do."
"What's this?" Cherry asked.
"Shadow's new board."

On it, I had asked Reki to add Shadow's face transformed into a baby with a dummy. Decorative, bright flowers adorned the background, small fairies flying around the delicately designed petals.

In addition to the 'cute' redesign, small jingly bells were attached to the deck, providing a festive atmosphere. It had taken a turn for the worse, and I was eagerly awaiting Shadow's reaction.

"As much as I'd hate to agree with Joe, this is amusing," commented Cherry.
"I'd love to challenge you to a beef," Joe said.
"Yeah yeah, 'but you don't want to see me in tears after you beat me'," I replied in a depressing imitation of his voice.
"...I know our chances of winning are 50/50, but your uncle asked me to look after you."
"And I've told you a million times already: I don't need you to look after me anymore."
"Guys, I've been trying to get your attention! (Y/n), you have someone who wants to see you," Cherry cut in.

I turned to look, recognising the familiar mop of golden brown hair and dark coal eyes. Although taller and more well-built, it seemed he was still the same Jun I used to know.

Without a second to waste, I was suddenly strangled in an overbearing hug. Despite being a year younger, his height had surpassed mine long ago. I elbowed his stomach.

"How's Kenta- your dad, I mean."
"Doing fine with the gang. Hey Joe, long time no see," Jun greeted.
"Look at how grown up he is, although..." started Joe.
"Although what?"
"You're still a brat in my eyes."
"Tch, old geezer."
"Huh?!"

Cherry and I seemed to have given up all hope regarding the means to stopping their endless bickering. A faint smile touched my lips as a memory replayed in my mind.

"Reminds me of when you argue with Yuu."
"Shut it," Cherry muttered.
"'right, I have to leave you guys. I promised to meet up with Reki and Langa."
"That rookie skater? Is this a secretive date?" Joe teased.
"Shut that mouth of yours before I rip it off."
"Can I tag along? It's been so long since I last hung out with you," exclaimed Jun.
"Sure, I guess."

We waved goodbye to Joe and Cherry before stepping out into the cool afternoon air. Jun's boot came into contact with a pebble, immediately becoming a simple way to pass the time as we traversed the mildly crowded streets.

Now that the chance had presented itself, I allowed myself a few glances at his attire. A dark button-up shirt with black jeans and a leather jacket. He hadn't been to school today...he had been helping his dad with yakuza business.

A sigh escaped my lips. I was the same once. Occasionally skipping school or returning home late to help my uncle...to play with my brother. I retired into my mind, blasted with a million memories.

"Oh, is that them?"

Jun's question brought me back. A kid had entered the skate shop, where we could see Reki and Langa through the windows. I tugged Jun along, deeming it too far from here to assess the situation.

"Hey guys."
"Oi (Y/n), do something about this! The Miya just challenged Langa to a beef! And the idiot just accepted!" Reki exclaimed.
"Huh..."
"Not 'huh', you've gotta stop him! Miya's a kid champion!"
"I know. Hey Miya, why choose Langa?"
"Because I saw his match with Shadow, and I thought it'll be interesting to test his skills," replied the dark-haired boy.
"I see..."
"Anyway, I've got to go."

The boy left without another word. I looked at the two standing beside me, one excited and the other dumbfounded. A cheeky smirk plastered itself on my face as I went to stand in front of Langa.

"*grins* A skateboarding champion just challenged you. That's got to be exciting."
"Yeah..." he said as if he still couldn't believe it.
"Don't worry, we'll help you practice."
"Have you ever skated against him?"
"Hmm...not seriously. We've skated together and practiced together but no, I haven't in the sense you're asking."
"(Y/n)?" Jun was still standing awkwardly to the side.
"Ah sorry, guys. This is Jun, a friend. Reki, you remember Kenta, right? My uncle's second in command? Now the leader. This is his son."
"Nice to meetcha," Reki greeted.
"You guys can all skate?" Jun asked.
"Yep. Well, Langa here is still a rookie."
"I-"

His phone started ringing, cutting him off mid-sentence.

"Ah crap, my dad's calling. I headed off without telling him. I gotta go."
"See ya later."
"Bye guys."
"(Y/n)," called Langa.
"I know him because of my uncle. He passed away two years ago."
"I-I'm sorry..."
"And yes, I can teach you how to skate."
"Are you two psychic?" Reki joked.
"No, the questions were obvious from the way he was looking."
"How?..."
"I'll meet up with you guys after you're done with work. I need to drop off Shadow's board."
"Alright, later," replied Reki.
"Bye (Y/n)," Langa added.