Chapter 2

No one's POV

The wall stopped (Y/n)'s body as her back smashed into its concrete construction. Thick, scarlet blood trickled down from the cut on her lip, yet an amused grin plastered itself on her face.

A dark burgundy-haired girl stared down at (Y/n) with a sickening scowl. Her two friends, or perhaps student bodyguards was a better phrase, stood to either side of the supposed queen opposing (Y/n).

"You're just a good for nothing girl who made my brother die. How dare you laugh like this is nothing," she spat.
"You just can't get over your jealousy, Ruka."
"Shut it, (Y/n). Once I tell the world about your affiliation with those dangerous yakuza, no one will ever come near you again."
"You're pathetic."

The black-haired boy to her left pulled on (Y/n)'s already dishevelled uniform yet she made no attempt to stop him. It wasn't a matter of who was stronger but rather, the cruel fact that Ruka's family had more power.

"Oi, let her go!" Reki yelled.
"Tch, let's go boys. Looks like she still hasn't felt any remorse for killing not only my brother but hers as well yet she still hangs out with those disgusting gangsters," mocked Ruka.

The trio took their leave as (Y/n) angrily wiped the blood from her chin. Her shattered heart had lost even more of its broken pieces as the memory of her brother's death plagued her mind. She clenched her fists.

"Are you okay?" Langa asked.
"Never been better. Reki, can you do me a favour?" replied the brown-haired girl.
"What is it?"
"Can you get my bag from the classroom? Also, lend me your skateboard."
"What are you-"
"She insulted my uncle. I can't let that slide."

The girl was off before either of the two boys had any time to process what had happened. Langa could only widen his eyes in awe as she eased into a casual position to accelerate her skating as though it were no different from breathing.

However that was simply a glimpse of what she could do. Her real potential was revealed when she became serious and bet her life on the line. Yet nothing seemed worth the trouble after that fateful incident.

"Who was that?" asked Langa.
"Yamada Ruka, the 'queen' of the most elite school in the city. Her dad owns the biggest hotel company in Japan and her mum's a fashion designer. She's been bullying (Y/n) since...for a while," Reki answered.
"I see...her skateboarding was really good..."
"I know! Do you know who her uncle was? He was one of the best skaters around! Some say he was better than Cherry or Joe."
"Didn't she say something about her uncle being a gangster or something?"
"Ah that's...we should probably go get (Y/n)'s stuff."

Why was Reki keeping the answers so vague? Did (Y/n) have a secret she didn't want anyone to know? Langa thought.

(Y/n)'s POV

A dirtied puddle caught my eye near where Ruka stood waiting for her personal driver to pick her up. A grin tugged at my lips as I sped down and turned once the skateboard touched the water, splashing it against her clothing.

"(Y/n)! You're gonna pay for this!" she screeched.
"Oh sorry, I didn't see you there. I mistook you for a pile of trash."
"How dare you!"
"I dared. Your pathetic need to use your parents' power to make everyone else bow down to you is something I'll never stand."
"Ugh, shut it!"

Though it was a petty attempt, a small swell of satisfaction grew in my heart knowing her English was far from perfect...knowing that she could feel nothing but jealousy and contempt at my excelling in a subject area she could not.

I bit my lip, realising I was no different from her. When did I become such a monster? When I...killed my brother? Unshed tears pooled in my eyes until my vision became blurred.

No one'd be able become close to a monster. It would only ruin them despite their good intentions. I couldn't allow it. Hatred's dark hands had infected my heart with its dangerous poison, and there was no medicine that could heal my frozen body.

"(Y/n), over here!" Reki exclaimed.
"Hey."
"Here."

He handed my bag and skateboard over before taking his own board. I turned to face Langa and offered a cheeky smile, dispelling the anger that had permeated my mind.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced. My name's (L/n) (Y/n)."
"I'm-"
"Yes, we all know. We were there when you gave that nonchalant introduction in class," Reki cut in.
"*blush* W-well, it's not like I know how schools in Japan work," Langa argued.
"Yeah, it took me a while to get used to as well," I said.
"You're...?"
"From Australia. My dad's Australian."
"Guys, wanna go skate? Or in Langa's case, practise skating?" asked Reki.
"Sure thing. We need to stop by somewhere first though. Yuu said he had something to show me."
"Who's Yuu?" Langa questioned.
"A very young engineer."
"Her younger brother," Reki provided.

I cocked my head in the direction of the city, retreating back into my mind once more. Smile idiot. No. Come on, (Y/n). Did you think I'd leave you? Stop. What happened? Who did that? Stop!

It was only when Langa tugged at my sleeve did I return to reality. I stared at him, unsure of what was going on. Reki suddenly threw an arm around my shoulders, earning a good shove to the stomach.

"Hey!" he yelled.
"Sorry, I was..."
"Are you alright? Do Ruka's words still bother you?" Langa asked hesitantly.
"...nah, don't worry about it. Come on, let's hurry before my brother gets kidnapped because he's gonna be too focused on his project."
"K-kidnapped?!"
"*laughs* You're cute."
"(Y/n), stop teasing him. He's only a child," Reki added.
"Not you too..." sighed Langa.

A giggle escaped my mouth. Without realising, these two boys had distracted my dark mind...they had extended their light to touch my darkness. A smile graced my face as I met their cheerful gazes.