Chapter 64

(Y/n)'s POV

Langa's mum came back inside, shoving the first aid kit into her son's hands. I quickly shot to my feet, ignoring the dull pain that struck my side as I called for her. She turned and waited patiently for me to continue.

"I'm sorry about before. I didn't mean to flinch away..."
"No need to apologise. Your brother said things were tough at home," she replied warmly.
"Speaking of which, how is he?"
"I'm fine, Miss Fussy Pants! Just let your boyfriend take care of you," Yuu called from the living room.
"(Y/n), you can always talk to me if you have troubles...or you can talk to my son if you feel more comfortable with him. Don't try to handle everything by yourself."

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak without spilling tears.

"Also, (Y/n)?"
"Yes?"
"Lift up your shirt."
"Eh?"
"Mum, what are you-" Langa started.
"Sshh, Langa. There's something I want to check."

Seeing as how she was still standing there with no intention to leave until I did what she asked, a heavy sigh left my lips as I lifted my shirt to show the large bruise painting the side of my stomach. Langa sucked in a breath while his mum let out a soft gasp.

"...I don't know what happened but please try not to get hurt."
"Okay, I'll try."

She smiled, seemingly satisfied for now with my answer and left the room. Langa gently took my uninjured hand and had me sit on his bed. He appeared unsure of what to do before I offered to simply do it myself.

"You're injured. Let me help," he exclaimed.
"Langa-"
"Please."

After giving him a slight nod, a bright smile tugged at his lips. My heart pounded. He was happy...because he could help me. I fought back the emotions threatening to overtake my fragile heart and instructed him on how to treat the wounds.

He gently took my arm, his other hand hovering over the cuts. His subtle shaking vibrated across my skin. I watched him though he continued to stare at my arm. Worry clouded my mind as I placed a hand on his forehead.

"Are you sick? What's wrong?"
"N-no, I'm just...scared I'll hurt you," he replied.

A few moments of silence passed. Eventually, a giggle escaped my mouth. I leaned forward, hiding my face against his shoulder.

"Langa, you're adorable."
"*blush* eh?"

I laughed and laughed. It wasn't until I had finally calmed down that I lifted my head and guided his hand. Soon enough, he was treating the cuts by himself. If it were any more possible, his gestures immediately gentled further now that I wasn't helping.

He finished by wrapping a bandage around my arm and took out an ice pack that his mum had brought in with the first aid kit. I bit back a wince as he placed it over my bruise.

A single tear slid down my cheek before I angrily wiped it away. Langa opened and closed his mouth, unsure of what to say. More tears forced themselves out of my eyes. I shut my mouth, hoping to keep in the sobs.

"I-I'm sorry."

He pulled me against him before I started crying. I buried my face against his chest as my body shook with every sob. He only tightened his embrace, pulling me onto his lap.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he whispered.

I shook my head, releasing another round of held-back sobs as his hands began rubbing circles around my back. I don't want you to hate me. Don't leave me, I'm breaking.

"I-I'm sorry," I stammered.
"Why are you apologising?" he asked.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry..." my voice grew quiet as I answered.

It was a while before he replied. In the meantime, my sobs had retreated to silent tears. His arms felt like home. I never wanted to leave. An ache grew in my chest until a gaping hole was left in my heart.

"...if you don't tell me what you're feeling, I can't help you. I'm not very good with this stuff, so it breaks my heart knowing that you're hurting and I can't do anything to help. (Y/n), don't break me...How else will I be able to heal you?..." he finally exclaimed.

~Some time later~

Yuu was happily eating the curry Langa's mum had made for dinner. Our dad had called earlier to tell us to stay over at a friend's tonight to allow mum time to calm down. Langa's mum had immediately told us to stay upon hearing the discussion I was having with my brother.

A small smile spread across my lips as I lifted the curry to my mouth. Langa's hand found mine under the table, intertwining our fingers before the smile grew larger. It was at this point that I realised that I had fallen utterly, deeply in love with him. However, my heart was locked in a keyless cage.

"Is my cooking really that good?" asked his mum.
"Yes, it really is."
"...I'm glad you're feeling better now. I'm surprised though. How did Langa cheer you up?"
"He...just did."
"Anyway, I'm so glad."
"(Y/n), Reki and Miya are coming tomorrow morning. They're convinced we're dying," said Yuu.
"What did you tell them?"
"Nothing dramatic, I swear."

I rolled my eyes, going back to eating my food. Langa suddenly pushed his plate towards me. The three of us turned to stare at him; me with a slight blush, Yuu with wide eyes, and his mum with her mouth open.

"What?" he asked.
"You're giving her your food," his mum replied, almost posing it as a question.
"She looks hungry. You are hungry, right?"
"I...am..." I replied, slightly confused.
"See?"

He was still watching me, so I took a hesitant bite from his plate. A happy smile broke out over his face, akin to a child excited to be able to play with its puppy. His mum appeared as if her son had performed a great achievement whilst Yuu was snickering behind his hand. I, on the other hand, was immensely embarrassed. What was even happening?...