Chapter 33

(Y/n)'s POV

My eyes fluttered to the blue-haired male who remained oblivious to my presence. His chest moved in time to his breathing, creating a rhythmic pattern with each slow intake of breath.

The sunlight filtered through the gap in the curtains, making shadows dance across his room with the weight of clouds. I leaned over his face as a secretive smile tugged at my lips. He looked cute.

His eyes suddenly opened before the two of us simply stared at each other. His hand reached up to touch my cheek, his fingers an ephemeral lightness on my skin. Without warning, he jumped back as the realisation soon dawned on him.

"Good morning."
"How- what?" he started, clearly flustered.
"Reki's on his way here. Your mum let me into your room. She wanted me to let you know that breakfast is on the table and she's already left for work."
"Why are you in my house?"

I plopped myself onto his bed, pulling my legs to my chest. He pushed the blanket to the side and sat as well, a good metre away from me. A cheeky grin plastered itself on my face as I turned to look at him.

"I'm sure Shadow would love it if we were all to go visit him so early in the morning, so I was sent here to get you."
"Um..."
"Did anyone ever tell you how different you look when you're sleeping?"
"...eh?"
"I'm only teasing you. I'll be waiting in the living room. Get dressed yeah?"

He simply nodded as if my being in his room early in the morning was a normal occurrence. I stood up only to remember the bag I was holding before handing it to him.

"It's your hoodie. Sorry I kept it for so long. Don't worry, I washed it."

Without another word, I left the room and went to sit by the kitchen counter, resting my chin against my hand. If I had stayed in there any longer, I feared my cheeks would've flushed a bright pink.

I had only wanted a small peek. His mum had said he looked like a polar bear cub when sleeping so I was curious. I calmed my thunderous heart, pinching myself to rid my mind of these thoughts.

No one's POV

Langa had dressed and was standing in the hallway, staring at the girl who had snuck into his room. She remained where she was, still unaware that he was there. He was still watching when she pulled her knees to her chest like she did in his bedroom.

Her eyes turned distant, like she was reminiscing. He took a few steps forward and only then did she notice him. Only then did the melancholic, lonely expression disappear from her face as quickly as a wisp of wind.

"You're wearing the hoodie," she commented with a smile.
"Are you sad?" Langa asked.
"Huh?"

Reki came in at that moment, as the words caught in Langa's throat. (Y/n) hurriedly jumped in front of her blue-haired friend, hiding her action as a small jump from the stool she was sitting on mere seconds before.

"Alright, hurry Langa and eat your breakfast," she exclaimed.
"You still haven't eaten yet?" Reki asked.

Langa simply shook his head and went to the table. His eyes glanced at the girl who was now casually chatting with her childhood friend, wondering why she hid her emotions as if she were hiding a fatal weakness.

~Some time later~

(Y/n) poked her head through, smiling the cheeky smile that seemed to run in the family. Shadow's own smile faltered, transforming into a more irritated scowl disguised as an ugly grin.

Reki and Langa followed her inside, marvelling at the vibrant flowers on display. Miya arrived at the moment Reki pulled a rose from the bucket and handed it to Langa, who held it out to (Y/n).

"Are you confessing to her?" Miya asked.
"Are you gonna pay for that?" Shadow questioned.
"Nevermind all that. Shadow, let's go to the beach," said Reki.
"What?"
"Come on, we need adult supervision. Who better to ask than you?"
"It's just the beach. Go by yourselves."
"Let me clarify for you. We wanna go on a small trip," (Y/n) explained.
"No-"
"Hiromi, are these kids your friends?" asked who they assumed to be the manager.
"Uhh no, they're just-"
"Hiromi-chan, why are you being so mean? It's not embarrassing at all to be friends with us kids. We accepted you for who you are. You don't actually have any friends your age, right?" (Y/n) said innocently.

The manager smiled as if the kids she saw before her radiated a warmth untouched by the world's impurities. Shadow appeared like a death god had shown up to take him away. A snicker escaped both Reki and (Y/n), silenced only when Shadow shot them a glare.

"Aren't these kids lovely?" commented his manager.
"Miss, can we take Hiromi on a trip? We kept begging him but he refused..." said Miya.
"Hiromi, you can't leave these kids alone. They need some adult supervision."
"But I still have work-"
"Don't worry about that. Take a few days off."

Reki and (Y/n) high-fived each other, ecstatic that their wish to go on a trip was granted. Miya efficiently explained their plan to Shadow and left the store with them, but not before (Y/n) quietly slipped some money onto the counter for the rose.

A whimsical smile graced her face as she trailed slightly behind, twirling the rose in her fingers. Its deep red petals shone in the sun's rays, sparkling that velvet-like glow. The wind caressed their bodies, gently combing their hair as they made their way through the city.

"Do you like roses?" Langa asked.
"Yeah, aren't they pretty?" replied (Y/n).
"Pretty..."

She held out my hand. Moments passed. He hesitantly took it, closing his fingers around hers. The slightest pink coated his cheeks whilst a soft smile grew on her face. She continued to stare at the rose as their hands swayed gently in the air.

"The rose reminds me of you," he whispered into the blowing winds, frozen in time as the words passed her ears.