Chapter 90

(Y/n)'s POV

The air was cold as I leaned my head against the wall, closing my eyes to allow emptiness to take over. Clouds coated the sky like a child's warm blanket, allowing but mere slivers of sunlight to pierce through.

The sound of the rooftop door opening and closing travelled over though I paid no mind to it. Something poked my lips before I opened my mouth to let them plop a (f/f) candy inside.

"Ojou-chan, you really shouldn't be skipping school," exclaimed Kenta's righthand man, Hijiro.
"Don't feel like going."

He was a tall, burly man who emitted a rather fatherly vibe despite his big bulk. He had no children of his own, devoting his life to my uncle's gang and his undying loyalty to his wife.

"Don't waste your youth. As much as we value your presence, you shouldn't take that as encouragement to forgo education," he said, trying to convince me again.
"The school day's almost over. No point going now."
"Are you having boy issues?"

I wasn't given a chance to reply as Jun barged through the door, tackling me to the ground as gun shots hit the wall behind me. Hijiro immediately pulled out a gun of his own, taking on a guarded stance as several men jumped onto the rooftop.

Jun had his arm around me, rubbing soothing circles on my back to try calm my shivers. Another shot grazed my arm as I stifled a yell of fright. My shaking worsened, sweat gathering on my brow.

"Is the little missy scared from a few tiny gun shots?" seethed a bald man with multiple tattoos decorating his skin.
"What the hell do you want?" Jun asked, his tone calmingly dangerous.
"The girl's uncle had a hand in my brother's death. Since he's no longer here to pay, I've decided to punish the next best thing. His niece."
"And you think we'll let her go just like that? Are you delusional?"
"Bring the woman."

A chubby man dragged forward a middle-aged woman, her hands bound behind her back and a cloth covering her mouth. Her hair was a familiar light chestnut and her eyes shone with recognition. That was Langa's mum.

Her eyes watered with relief that was soon replaced by fear. She struggled against her captor, who struck her, making her fall to her side. Jun immediately had an iron grip around my wrist when I felt my feet moving.

"So how about it? You for this woman," exclaimed the bald man.
"Jun, let me go. I can't let them hurt her."
"(Y/n), that woman is of no consequence to me. I-"
"She's Langa's mum! If you think I'm going to let them hurt her any further, hurt him, then you clearly don't know me at all."
"I'm not letting you go. I know this is selfish of me but there's not a damn chance I'm letting you sacrifice yourself for the mother of some guy who abandoned you for that witch's twin!"

I took out a small knife, quickly slicing a shallow cut along Jun's arm. He cursed, letting go of my wrist in that split second of initial pain but that was enough for me to escape. He cursed again and hurriedly began running after me.

Gun shots rang out, rendering him unable to follow. A whimper escaped my mouth though I dampened my fear behind false confidence as I reached Langa's mum and pulled the cloth from her mouth.

"You're okay now. Jun's a nice guy despite what he said, he'll take you home."
"(Y/n), no. You're not-"
"Yes, I am. I'm gonna ask something hard of you. Please don't tell your son about today, yeah?"

Someone shoved her forward, gesturing for her to run as my hands were bound and I was forced to my knees. Jun let out a colourful array of profanities, knowing that he could not save me alone nor could he call for backup without being conspicuous.

"(Y/n)-"
"Go back to your son. I'm sure he wouldn't want his mum getting hurt."
"And you think he doesn't care what happens to you? I..."

I simply flashed an enigmatic smile before nodding at Jun. He knocked her out with a quick, almost painless strike and passed her into Hijiro's arms. That was when the door was suddenly knocked down.

Kenta stood on the other side with the rest of the gang, his expression dark and unforgiving. He glanced at his son, a mixture of relief and disappointment flooding his eyes.

"You can't even save the girl you like. You need to become stronger," exclaimed Kenta.
"W-what? Don't say that. You failed to save mum," Jun retorted.
"Oi, you think we're just gonna let you guys ruin our fun?" demanded the bald man, who now forced me to stand, running a hand down my side.
"You bastard, get your filthy hands off of her!" Jun growled.

Kenta raised an eyebrow at me. I gritted my teeth, allowing anger at the bald man's audacity to touch me to take over my fear. I jumped up, twisting my legs around the man to flip us both, crashing against the ground.

That provided a chance for Kenta to fire a few shots at the men surrounding us before Jun was rushing towards me. His strong arms wrapped around my body. He rose to his feet, dashing and ducking as the door loomed closer and closer.

Tremors had me shaking like a volcanic eruption. Gun shots reverberated across the area. Images and memories swirled in my mind; my brother's lifeless body taking centre stage.

"You killed our boss!"

You killed him. My breathing became erratic. I caught sight of Langa's mum in Hijiro's arms, her unconscious body overlapping with Luke's. Something was squeezing me, as if it was trying to comfort me but all I could see and hear was the incident from that bloody night.

"(Y/n), don't fade on me."
"...it's all my fault..."

Jun's face suddenly flooded my vision before everything became black.