Nothing But Fear

Maverick walked out on the lower deck, his thoughts all over the place. He walked up to the edge and watched as the ship floated on top of the ocean.

"Talk to me, Goose," he whispered.

"Captain Phillips!"

Maverick turned around to see Admiral Bates standing not too far away from him with his hands behind his back.

"You're where you belong," he said. "Make us proud."

Just then, the upper layer lowered. They both turned around to see two of the planes getting prepped for fueling. They sent each other another nod before walking to the main hall where the trainees were waiting to hear who Maverick picked to fly with him. As they started, Maddlyn carefully rolled into the back of the room.

"It has been an honor flying with you," Maverick was saying as Maddlyn locked her wheelchair in the back of the hall. "Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more."

"Choose your two Foxtrot teams," Admiral Simpson instructed.

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob."

"And your wingman," Admiral Beau added. The tension between Rooster and Hangman was thick. Maddlyn felt like she could barely breathe as she waited to hear who Maverick picked. On one hand, she's not entirely sure she wants her father to fly with the man who put her in a wheelchair. But on the other hand, if he chooses. . .

"Rooster."

Maddlyn's heart jumped into her throat so far she felt like she would choke on it. She looked between her father and her best friend as they shared a look.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required," Admiral Simpson instructed.

"Dismissed."

Maverick looked away from Rooster just in time to see Maddlyn's wheelchair disappearing out the door. He glanced around at the trainees to see them congratulating each other. He thought about getting Rooster's attention but figured this should probably be a father-daughter conversation.

"Maddy," Maverick said as he jogged out to the deck. He grabbed the handles of her wheelchair and stopped her. He walked around and knelt in front of her.

"Talk to me, pumpkin."

He reached up and caught a tear with his thumb. Maddlyn looked away from her father and focused on doing her hand exercises.

"Maddlyn," he said gently. "Please talk to me."

"I can't do this, Dad."

"It's going to be okay."

"I can't lose you both," she cut him off.

"Maddy. . ."

"I know that you are the best pilot on this boat," Maddlyn continued quickly, "but things can happen. We didn't think anything would happen on my flight three years ago and we both know how that ended. We didn't think anything would happen on my flights with the trainees and. . ."

"You're not going to lose us both," he said quickly. "I promise, Maddy, I will make sure Rooster is safe. I will do whatever it takes to make sure that he comes home to you. I will not let you lose him again."

"What about you?" She asked, her voice breaking. "Who's gonna bring you home to me? I can't lose you, Dad. I need you. Now more than ever."

"Maddlyn. . ."

"I know you," she cut him off again. "I know what kind of pilot you are. You will get up there and do whatever it takes to keep everyone safe. You'd even risk your own life to make sure all those kids, especially Rooster, make it home."

"Of course, I'm going to make sure the other pilots get home. That's my job."

"But risking your life?"

"Maddlyn. . ."

"Dad, stop," she cut him off. "I don't think I can do this. I've lost too much."

Before Maverick could say anything to reassure her, Admiral Simpson cleared his throat.

"Sorry to interrupt, Captain."

Maverick turned to look at him, but Maddlyn was still trying to stop the tears in her eyes from falling.

"We need you for the briefing," Admiral Simpson said.

"Yes, sir."

Admiral Simpson glanced between the father and daughter before nodding and leaving. Maverick turned back toward Maddlyn and melted to his knees.

"Maddy," he whispered, "everything is going to be okay, pumpkin. I promise."

He stood up and kissed her forehead before heading back into the main hall. As her father walked away, the first tear finally fell. She turned around, her breath getting caught in her throat when she saw Rooster standing not too far away.

"Hey, you," he said softly. Maddlyn finally broke. Rooster ran towards her and wrapped his arms around her as he knelt next to her. He kissed her head as she sobbed into his arms.

"I can't lose you again," she sobbed. Rooster instantly shushed her as he tightened his arms around her.

"You're not going to lose me," Rooster whispered.

"But I can't lose my Dad," she cried. "I need him. I need you. If this goes wrong. . ."

"It won't."

"You can't promise that, Bradley. No one can. Not you. Not Hondo. Not Maverick. Truth is, we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow."

"We don't," he said, a lot calmer than her. "But I am going to do everything I can to make sure your dad comes home. And Maverick is going to do everything he can to make sure I come home."

Rooster leaned in and gently pressed his lips to hers. Maddlyn still had tears streaming down her face as they kissed. When he pulled away, he leaned his forehead against Maddlyn's.

"I love you, Mads," he whispered. "I promise I will do everything I can to come home."

"I love you too, Bradley," she whispered, the tears finally stopping. "Please make sure you do."