The One Person

Maverick walked into the bar, smirking when he saw the golden retriever. He knelt down and petted him as he chuckled, "Hey, Theo, you got big."

"Hey, Mav."

Maverick looked up, not expecting to see who he saw at the bar. "Amelia?"

"I know," she chuckled as she went back to working on her homework. "I got big."

"Yes," he laughed. "You did."

"Bar opens at 5," she said, not looking up.

"No, I just came by to pay off a debt."

"Mom!" Amelia yelled.

Maverick looked around the bar, not entirely sure how to talk to Ameilia. "Hey, how's your dad?" He asked the first question that came to mind.

"With his wife, in Hawaii," she answered simply. "Mom! Mav says he owes you money."

Maverick turned toward Penny as she walked out. He smiled as he handed her a wad of cash.

"Oh. Don't worry about it," she tried to dismiss.

"I insist."

They had a small staring contest that Maverick won. She sighed and took his money.

"Thank you, Captain," she chuckled. "Consider your tab closed."

"Captain?" Amelia asked. "Still?"

"A highly decorated captain," he corrected.

"Finish up," Penny said.

"I can't go."

"What do you mean, you can't go?"

"Test tomorrow," Amelia explained. "I have to study. They only told us today."

"Well, I can't sail her alone," Penny elongated.

"Just use the engine."

"Why are we taking her to the yard?" Penny asked.

"To fix the engine," they said at the same time.

"I can help," Maverick offered. The two women looked at him: Amelia was smirking, and Penny wasn't sure how to respond. They looked back at each other and Amelia smirked.

"Yeah, Mom," she chuckled. "Maverick can help."

* * * * *

"Little rougher than I was expecting," Penny said over the sound of the crashing waves.

"You don't say," Maverick chuckled.

"Pull on the backstay," Penny instructed. "We'll de-power the sails."

"Okay," Maverick said. He paused before adding, "What does that mean?"

Penny looked at him, struggling to hold in her laugh. "You're supposed to be in the Navy!"

"I don't sail boats, Penny," Maverick laughed. "I land on them."

"It's sort of like raising the flaps on an airplane."

"So how do I do that?"

"You pull on that green line up there," she pointed. Penny couldn't help but laugh as she had to instruct Maverick even more on the simple task. She giggled when he almost fell.

"You okay?"

"Yep!" Maverick said instantly. Penny instructed him on how to raise the afterburner. It took some time but she eventually convinced him to steer. When he agreed, she stood slightly behind him.