Interesting Conversations to Overhear

It's been a couple of days since the accident. Everyone has gone back to their normal schedules. Well. . . They tried. Even though they went back to training, everyone was distracted. They were too focused on worrying about Maddy and hating Hangman.

Maverick watched as the group treated Hangman worse than normal. Anything he said, they responded with sarcastic comments. Rooster, on the other hand, was moments away from kicking his ass. Knowing this, Hangman kept his distance.

After another rough day of training, Hangman started to head back to his room. He stopped and decided to go somewhere else. He hesitated outside the infirmary. There's been this nagging feeling ever since the accident that he should go talk to her, he just hasn't had the courage.

Hangman checked the infirmary lobby before quickly heading down the hallway toward Maddy's room.

Maybe it was how he's been treated. Maybe it was the fact that he knew he deserved everything they said to him. He finally forced himself to open her door.

But not before knocking of course.

He took a deep breath before forcing himself to knock.

"Come in."

Maddlyn's breath got caught in her throat when Hangman walked into her room. "What are you doing here?" She asked, making him freeze in the doorway.

"I just. . . I figured you'd. . . I thought maybe we could. . . If you. . ."

"Wow," she scoffed, cutting off his awkward stuttering. "If this is you trying to apologize, you're shit at it."

"I wasn't. . . I mean. . ."

"You can't even admit it," Maddlyn rolled her eyes. "You should just leave."

"Maddlyn, I was trying. . ."

"It's the why that annoys me."

"The why?" Hangman asked.

"Be honest," Maddy sighed, "you're not here because you actually want to apologize to me. You're here because you want to apologize for yourself. You're only apologizing for the sake of your reputation."

"What does that mean?"

"It means you don't care whether I forgive you," she clarified. "You only care that everyone hates you for what you did to me. You are only apologizing so they'll figure it out and become your friends again."

"That's not. . ."

"Don't," she cut him off. "Everyone knows you have an ego the size of Canada. Try shrinking it."

"Maddlyn," he started. Maddy waited for him to continue, but he didn't.

"Please," she sighed, "just go. And come back when you decide to apologize because the only person you want to know that you apologized is the girl you apologized to."

* * * * *

After Hangman left her room, Maddlyn's entire body was sore. She laid back down, closed her eyes, and took slow breaths.

"You okay?" Rooster's voice came softly from the door.

"Hangman stopped by," she admitted.

"He what?!"

Maddy opened her eyes to see Rooster's demeanor completely change.

"Rooster," she started.

"Who does he think he is?! Coming in here. What? Was he admiring the consequences of his actions? The consequences he should've paid for. Not. You."