Always Find You

After Maddlyn opened up about Flight 18-20, she excused herself and left the beach with her arms wrapped around herself. After returning the trainees back to base, Maverick decided to check on his daughter. He called her a couple of times, but each call went to voicemail. He texted her several times but they too went unanswered.

Before he could let his nerves go out of control, Maverick decided to head over to her apartment. The entire drive there, Maverick had a pit in his stomach. He parked the car and walked up to her townhome.

He knocked on the door and waited. The longer he waited, the more nervous he got. He knocked again but waited a shorter amount of time.

"Maddy?" He called out. "It's me, pumpkin. Open up."

Maverick stopped trying to be calm. He pounded on the door a couple more times and raised his voice.

"Maddlyn! Open the door, sweetheart. Please, pumpkin. Answer me."

When she still didn't open the door or make any sounds like she was coming to answer him, he searched through his jacket until he finally found his keys. When he did, he flipped through them and looked for the key to her place.

He finally got the door unlocked and jogged inside. He called out her name as he searched her apartment for her. When he couldn't find her, he grabbed his phone and called her again.

Maverick jumped when he started hearing Maddlyn's phone go off. He looked around and found it on the couch. As the panic attack built, Maverick searched his brain for any way to find his daughter.

Finally, he thought of one.

* * * * *

"Maddy's gone," he said the second Rooster opened the door.

"What?"

"I have no idea where she is and I can't get a hold of her," Maverick rushed out. "I've tried calling her, texting her. I even went to her apartment but she wasn't there. I don't know what to do, Bradley. I'm not even sure what is going on. She's never talked about what happened with Flight 18-20. I was partially surprised she was willing to open up to you and the other recruits."

"Maverick," Rooster cut him off. "I think I know where she might be."

* * * * *

Rooster was right.

A young woman was not too far from him, on the beach. He didn't need to get close to know it was Maddlyn. He sighed, shoving his hands in his jacket pockets, and started walking toward her.

"Your dad's worried about you," he said once he had gotten to her.

"Sorry," she mumbled, not bothering to look at him. Instead, she tightened her arms around her knees, pulling them closer to her.

"Mind if I join you?" He asked.

"Sure," she sighed. Rooster sat next to her, resisting the urge to wrap his arm around her.

"How'd you know I'd be here?" She asked under her breath.

"Don't you remember?" Rooster chuckled.

"My mother's funeral," she said softly.

"You got overwhelmed," Rooster continued for her when she struggled to explain further. "I noticed you left, and I didn't want to worry your dad so I followed you. When I caught up to you, you were sitting on the beach like you are now."

"You sat with me for an hour," Maddlyn whispered. "And then we walked back to the house. I thought you were going to rat me out, but you didn't say a word to my father. We walked back into the luncheon and my dad asked where we were. You said we went for a walk around the neighborhood to get some fresh air."

"Of course," Rooster shrugged. "I didn't want to worry your dad or get you into trouble. I wanted to make sure he knew that I had his back and could take care of you."

"Yep," she said under her breath, still not looking at him. "And then we grew up and life got more complicated."

"Mads," Rooster sighed.

"I don't want things to be complicated anymore," Maddy said, her voice breaking. Rooster opened his mouth to say something but she put her head on his shoulder. He didn't bother to resist it anymore. He wrapped his arm around her waist and leaned his head against hers.

"Things don't have to. . ."

"Can we be done hating each other?"

"What?" Rooster stuttered.

"Can we please be done hating each other?" Maddy asked as tears streamed down her face. "I can't. . . I can't take it anymore, Bradley. I miss you."

Rooster wrapped his other arm around her and held her tightly to his chest.

"I miss you too," he whispered.

"So, does that mean we no longer hate each other?" Maddlyn asked as she looked up at him. He looked down at her, feeling like he used to.

"Of course not," he said. "Maddy, I never hated you."

"Yeah, you did," she chuckled as she leaned back against his chest.

"No, I didn't," he said firmly. "I never hated you. I was angry, yes. But nothing could ever make me hate you."

"Good," she said under her breath. "Because I don't know about you, but I need this friendship, Bradley. I need you."

"I need you too," he said, his heart pounding against his chest. "The last couple of years where we weren't best friends were complete torture."

"For me too," Maddlyn mumbled. "I really needed you."

Rooster tightened his arms around her, guilt swallowing him. "I'm so sorry, Mads," he whispered. "I should've been there for you."

"You're here now," she said, sleep coming through her voice.

"Yes, I am."

Rooster reached up and started running his fingers through her hair. He listened to her breathing and the sound of the waves. He looked down a few minutes later to see her asleep.

"Maddy," he whispered, gently waking her up. "Let's get you home."

"Okay," she mumbled sleepily.

Rooster stood up and helped Maddlyn to her feet. With one arm still wrapped around her waist, he led her back toward his car. He unlocked to door and helped her in. The second he sat down and put his seatbelt on, she reached over and grabbed his hand.

He drove away, glancing back at Maddy several times. They drove in silence. When they got to her apartment, Rooster put the car in park.

"Bradley?" Maddlyn mumbled sleepily.

"Yes, Mads?"

"Do you promise that we can go back to the way things were?"

Rooster turned toward her and grabbed both of her hands in his. "I swear," he whispered, "we are going to be exactly like we were."