Bad News Never Ends

Maddlyn woke up, her entire body sore. She rolled her head to the side, her breath getting caught in her throat when she saw Rooster asleep next to her. She closed her eyes and focused on the sound of his breathing.

Rooster woke up first the next time. He looked down, instantly seeing Maddlyn in his arms. He couldn't help but think about how many nights he wished he had her right where she was - safely in his arms. He leaned down and gently kissed the top of her head. He smiled when she stirred.

Maddlyn slowly woke up and looked up to see Rooster staring at her. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hey," Rooster chuckled. "How'd you sleep?"

"Better than I have since before. . ." Maddlyn couldn't finish her sentence. Rooster didn't need her to. He knew what she was trying to say.

"That's good," he said softly as he reached up and moved her hair out of her face. Maddy smiled and rested her head back on Rooster's shoulder.

"You don't have to stay here," she said gently. "I know you have training later today and. . ."

"It's canceled."

"It's what?"

"After your accident, Mav canceled training."

"He did. . . Rooster, the flight is in less than two weeks. You can't take time off. You all need to be training and preparing for it. If this goes wrong. . ."

"Mads," he soothed her, "it's okay. We'll be fine."

"But. . ."

"We'll be fine," he annunciated. "Speaking of we."

Maddlyn looked over and saw all the other trainees standing in the doorway.

"Hi, Maddy," they all said in sync.

"Hi, guys," Maddlyn chuckled as she glanced at Rooster. They looked back to see the others still standing awkwardly in the hallway.

"You guys can come in," Rooster smirked. He sat in the chair next to her bed, never letting go of her hand.

"How are you feeling?" Payback asked gently.

"I'm okay," Maddlyn shrugged. Payback and Rooster shared a look that Maddlyn instantly caught. "Don't do that."

"Don't do what?" They asked in sync.

"Don't talk in sync," she chuckled. "It's weird. And don't do that whole "secret look" thing. You're not even good at being subtle."

"We're not being. . ." The boys stopped talking when Maddlyn glared at them.

"Look," Maddlyn sighed, "I know this is different. But the easiest way for me to go back to normal is if everyone else does too. So please. . . Help me make this easier."

Rooster tightened his hand around her's when her voice broke.

"We're sorry, Maddy," Phoenix said. "We'll be better. I promise."

"Thank you," Maddlyn said, clearing her throat. "Maybe start by relaxing?"

The group laughed, the tension finally lifting as everyone relaxed. They started talking about the flight and the issues they were having with the turns.

"You slow down, but only a tenth of a knot," Maddlyn explained. "Anything slower and you'll never make that incline. And don't forget to breathe. The incline is going to feel like at least 50 pounds being pressed down on your chest. Breathe slow and steady."

"That's why you're the best," Rooster chuckled. The boys started making kissing noises, making both Maddlyn and Rooster blush. Phoenix walked behind each of the boys, slapping the back of their heads.