seven

gross, good luck

gross, good luck.

( original episode )

"lake?"

it had been years since the two had last seen each other. separating before the start of everything, the duo thought the other had been dead.

the couple had problems for the last few weeks of their relationship. they were rarely together, and if they were, it was spent arguing. they had agreed on shared custody when they first realized things were going downhill, and layna was lucky enough for her day with kaia to be the day the apocalypse had started.

"oh my god," he whispered in response, shock shown on his face and hands shaking slightly, he rushed towards layna, "layna!"

their bodies crashed together as layna practically lept towards the man, wrapping her arms around his neck as he spun them slightly. she rested her feet back on the floor and they stood in each other's arms rocking side to side.

simultaneously, the two separated, but kept their hands on each other. layna hands moved from his neck to hold his face looking at him with shock. "is this real? are you real?"

she started pinching him, making him laugh and moving to hold her hands in his larger ones to stop the pinching, "i think so, do you think so?"

"oh, i know so, just shocked." she smiled, looking into the eyes she has adored for years. he smiled back at her with soft eyes before glancing down at her lips, and she did the same. they both leaned in and met in the middle. layna was shocked to feel his soft lips against her own, and she had no doubt hers felt the opposite. she was lucky to even smell good lately.

as they pulled apart to catch their breath, they tilted their foreheads forward to rest against each other, breathing each other in. "how do you keep your lips so soft?"

"mud."

she smiled, she hadn't realized how much she missed the man in front of her. his humor, his kindness, his touch, his everything. she hadn't realized just how much of her heart had been given to him, she felt whole again.

the two could've stood there for hours in each other's arms if it wasn't for a small, soft voice from behind them gaining their attention, "daddy?"

layna turned her head to look behind her as lake shifted his eyes behind her shoulder, and his breath hitched as he widened his eye for what seemed to be the hundredth time that time. he didn't know what he expected to see when he shifted his eyes to the small voice he heard, but something in him knew. he'd remember that voice until the day he died—his little kaia.

he looked back to layna and rested his hand on her cheek as she nodded to him with a smile, and he quickly made his way to his little girl. the little girl he thought had died years ago, taking a part of him with her.